1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child sitting on teachers knee

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Pow, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I'm a supply teacher. You may know that supply teachers can leave or be no longer required at any time.
    I don't write policies, but I do communicate with those who do, or who might ask me to.
    I will read my school's policy. I won't hold my breath until I find the helpful bit. I have read the EYFS Statutory Framework. If I adhere strictly to that I do not physically intervene with children except to prevent harm. It doesn't say anything about kissing, hugging, or placing on laps.

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

agreed it doesn't say it is expected and it doesn't say it shouldn't happen.
    Perhaps they realise that every setting is different and every child is different and every situation is different and should be judged individually rather than blanket rules.

3. Indeed, and that is why it should be something decided within the setting.
    You don't think it needs to be written down, and I can appreciate that your staff may all think and believe the same things about physical contact. You may have a very stable long-standing staff group in your foundation stage.
    Others find that it is helpful to discuss, reflect on and write down the parameters, because new staff, students, work experience students and suppky staff are a common feature of their setting.
    Perhaps because I am a supply teacher and therefore I am new to schools on a fairly regualr basis I can see lots of benefits in knowing what I can expect and what I might need to discourage, and what I can feel confident with. Having that written down gives a basis for dealing with fuzzy area situations and with staff who might need support in using physical contact appropriately.

4. Msz

5. Well I agree with you on that anyway.[​IMG]

6. Msz

Well since I was getting nowhere with English it was worth a try ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BBRKYNG? Says my hierolyphics translator
    Mmmm.
    I assume you are referring to 'blanket rules', as I can see that as the bit you might still have a problem with. You woudn't like a policy being written for a setting because although it would be relevant to the setting and resulting from discussion within that setting, there woud still be possible exceptions when you might need to do something that went against the policy. Is that it, Msz? So you shouldn't have a policy which sets 'blanket rules' in case you needed to break them.
    Well, yes in theory that might arise, because you can't foresee all situations when you write a policy, so you might need to go back and look at it again. It's a working tool and not set in stone. Meanwhile it's a useful document.
    But if you don't want one MSZ. don't feel you have to oblige me by having one.
    The End (for me). And I suspect it's been the end some time ago for most people following this thread.

8. Msz

Obviously your translator doesn't understand either ... no nothing to do with blanket rules
    surely you realise if the word started with BB the initial hieroglyph would be repeated
    beginning reading instruction tut!

9. I was always told that if a child is on your knee they must be facing outward and not face to face!

10. I am a NN that has worked for 15+ years with many teachers and yes it is often the NN or TA that comforts the children wether lap sitting or a cuddle to those children who need it for many many reasons. You will find that NN's decide to go into the profession for the love of wanting to work with children unlike some teachers as it is more of a profession than a love of the job. Some children are deprived of comfort when hurt or leaving parents so in these cases I think it is appropriate. There are certain circumstances when you would refrain from doing this but being manipulated by a child is nonsense. In my 15 + years I have never been manipulated by a small child over a child sitting on my lap, quite the opposite. It does depend on age and circumstances but I also think the subject is ridiculous. It is another policy gone mad!

11. I had decided to leave this thread well alone as enough has been said .
    However the above statement imo is such a generalisation and such load of tosh that I felt an urge to reply; probably fuelled by a g and t.
    IMO there are some NNs ( but by no means the majority ) who decide to go into the profession because it requires only basic entry qualifications and they see it as a cute soft option and are given a bum steer in this direction by their own misguided teachers and parents.
    They can be people whose low self esteem issues are comforted by working with children but not always to the benefit of those children. As colleagues they need a lot of support from co -workers and, yes ,the professional teacher, EYPS and nursery manager.
    It is these women, and it is usually women, who would benefit form a policy because they are intellectually and emotionally unable to read situations. Those who manage these folk also could with support of a policy to support them in this guidance. These emotionally immature NNs don't take criticism well and complain long and hard.
    This being the case I think we need to lower the bar of our expectation and spell things out through policies.
    I know we are always banging on about a professional highly trained workforce but let's face it that is not always the case.
    I am not disparaging NNs at all, I agree there are highly skilled professionals out there, but I think we need to acknowledge the wide ranging disparity in the skills of somebody with the same NVQ3 qualification. There seems to be no base line in their abilities or education in my opinion.
    I know that teachers' skills and experience can be wide ranging but there is usually an expected basic standard on entry to the profession which is not as far ranging aas that of NNs and TAs.
    The EYPS course seems to spend a lot of time considering how to raise standards and morale in the workforce . It seems to make an assumption that nursery workers don't know a lot- an EYPs colleague of mine was training her colleagues to talk to babies and look at them whilst they are talking etcs. Yes it was that basic and these nursery workers already had NVQ3. I don't think those women were there because they loved the job do you ?

12. cavmcfc
    Oh dear, that was your first post and I ranted in reply. Welcome aboard and carry on posting