1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child sitting on teachers knee

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Pow, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Is it a huge issue? Not really. As you say, you talk to each other and reflect on practice. That means that in effect you have a policy because you are all in agreement about what is acceptable.
    You obviously have great trust in that process. Good.
    However, for others, who maybe feel less sure that there is total agreement and that everyone understands and follows the unwritten policy, I think it is helpful to talk to each other, reflect on practice (in other words formulate a policy) and then write it down, recording decisions and viewpoints in a short written policy. New staff can read the policy. Parents can read the policy. The policy can be referred to to clarify if issues should arise etc.
    Not a big issue, just prudence

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

sorry but you misunderstood thumbie we have no written or unwritten policy on physical contact and it isn't something we have even discussed

3. Msz

I certainly don't see it as a big issue or prudent

4. If it has never been discussed how do you know that you sing from the same hymn sheet on this issue? If there was a complaint made by a parent at your school regarding unwanted physical contact with their child by a practitioner, how would you resolve it? Especially if you then discovered that some members of the team thought the incident had involved acceptable physical contact and others thought not.

5. Msz

My reply was to Hedda in response to my post saying I work with highly qualified experienced professionals nothing to do with the issue of physical contact thumbie which as I also said has never been an issue in the real world.

6. Msz

As Designated Child Protection Office I would resolve it by following legal guidlines without the need for an additional policy

7. Oh, I thought you were saying that you all sing from the same hymn sheet so there is no need for policies (including a policy on physical contact).

8. Sounds like a big issue then.

9. Msz

So perhaps you would like to explain what you would do if there was a complaint made by a parent at your school regarding unwanted physical contact with their child by a practitioner? (with your policy in place of course)

10. Msz

not really

11. I would discuss incident with the parent in the light of the policy and explain that the member of staff was acting within the policy (if that was the case). If the parent wanted to take it further, it would obviously have to be taken further. But this would mean that the parent would be challenging the policy, not the member of staff. It would be a pretty daft policy if it allowed anything that would be a child protection issue.

12. Msz

Then you would be breaking the law which is very clear what should happen in the event of a complaint of this nature (with or without a policy)

13. What do you take the complaint to be, I wonder?

14. Msz

any complaint even holding their hand too tightly

15. That would be outside the policy though, wouldn't it?

16. Msz

it's physical contact

17. Msz

perhaps you should write a policy about appropriate hand holding

18. When I say 'outside the policy' I mean outside what the policy says is acceptable.

19. Msz

it doesn't matter what the policy says it matters what the law says

20. This discussion is getting pretty crazy. As usual, let's agree to differ, Msz. It's Friday night and I for one am going to have a [​IMG] (just so long as i don't fall asleep on the sofa first.