1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child running away

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by barthd, Jul 6, 2017.

1. barthd

barthd New commenter

After some advise/resources. We have a child at school who has taken to running away. This child has done it several times from both school and home. There are no warning signs and they go without telling anyone. I have worked with many children who run away but this one is different, they don't look back and they don't go home.

The child has been through a very dramatic period and we have signposted to appropriate services. The family are getting help.

As a school I feel we have done everything within our power to support, predict and prevent this child from running and I feel we respond appropriately when the child does leave. I am after some resources or advice to work with the child in order to help (Google offers little help). In school we have already identified several people and safe places this person can go to (which sometimes they do), we have put extra staff in place to monitor and have eradicated unsupervised times for the child. Any suggestions on what else can be done?

2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Counselling? I have seen in school counselling really support a child.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

Hi @barthd

We have some learners who like to run without warning. We even have one, who managed to escape his previous setting and end up by the side of motorway as his mum drove past (thankfully, we haven't seen that at our setting).

We have found that fitting a tracker to the learner has been really beneficial. Selected members of staff can send a text to the satellite and that then sends the coordinates of where the learner is straight back to their phone. It may be useful in tracking the young person as soon as they run.

We also have an arrangement with the parents that we have done everything we can, all we can do now is support the learner and put processes in place to follow if they do run. If they run, we run the tracker, call mum and, if they don't return or go a certain distance, the police.

Unfortunately, it seems like something you may have to deal with for quite some time. I would definitely recommend working with parents, the services supporting the family and the learner to consistently share approaches and reinforce expectations/boundaries.

Also, don't forget to lock the gates!

4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Erm...can't they take it off....?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Errrm is this legal?
    In a mainstream primary?
    That too!

jarndyce and galerider123 like this.
  6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Back in the real world!

We have one "runner". We have taken all the precautions we can, we have high fencing all round, the doors have high push buttons to open, we have one classroom with an external fire door which he does not use, he is supervised at playtimes and lunchtimes. So far he has stayed within the school grounds ( although on top of the bike shed which adjoins the external fence is a favourite spot!). both he and his parents are aware that, should he leave the school grounds we will call the police.

I don't think we will be fitting a tracker though!

7. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

The tracker was fitted prior to his arrival at our setting, so we had nothing to do with the implementation of it. We are not a primary school either - we are a college; but all strategies are helpful!

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In a college aren't they over 16 and so able to come and go as they please anyway?

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Mattz1993

Mattz1993 New commenter

It very much depends on the level of their need. This particular individual is a high needs SEND learner and has 1-2-1 support at all times, so, he isn't allowed to just come and go.

pepper5 likes this.