1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child Protection

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by JodiP, Oct 21, 2018.

1. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

My children are currently on CP due to domestic violence. I’m hoping to get to CiN very quickly. I have been referred to LADO (I’m the victim!) Am I going to lose 20 years of my career and my pension for being hit by my husband?

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I don't have any answers at all, but couldn't read without saying I feel for you and wishing you all the strength and support you need during this difficult time. Hopefully somebody else will have answers to your questions. You could try calling the teacher support network.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Contact your union for support. You shouldn’t lose your career when you are the victim but how you act from here will make a difference.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I thought the disqualification by association was scrapped from September so there should not be any difficulty, or need to await a waiver, and applied if you were still living with him.
    Certainly check with your union for support, but seeing the LADO doesn't mean you'll be barred from teaching. It's probably a typical course if action to refer to LADO, (rather than not refer)
    I hope you get sorted quickly for your peace of mind.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  5. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Get your union involved straight away.
    Social care will be looking at you acting appropriately to keep your children safe. That will be the key question, did you keep your children safe, if not how can your employer know you will keep the children in your care safe. Issues occur when people fail to recognise the impact on their children or minimise what happened. If you didn’t act quickly because of fear or coercion, that’s ok the key is doing the right thing now and acknowledging it. I’d expect a risk assessment with input from the LADO.
    You’ve started a journey which will be difficult but you’re going in the right direction, be proud of taking those steps, I wish you and your children a bright future.

blueskydreaming and sabrinakat like this.