1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child Protection

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by woodlands01, Oct 2, 2015.

1. woodlands01

woodlands01 New commenter

I raised a child protection issue with my daughter's school last weekend after serious issues transpired. Monday morning I had a reply and it was passed onto vice principal responsible for student welfare. I heard nothing, by Thursday I asked for a progress update and it was repeated that it had been passed on. I then emailed the vice principal directly (took some time to get his email address confirmed). He replied later that day (Friday) saying he had a conversation and everything had been denied but there was to be some follow up at lunch time and he would let me know if there were any further developments. In this email he mentioned police involvement may be necessary, therefore accepting the seriousness of the issue. I have heard nothing further. I am left going into the weekend with no progress, and actually in a situation where I am going to have to interrogate my daughter further to ensure she is telling the truth. No-one at school has spoken to her about the incident.
    I feel very disappointed and I am looking for views on whether this is reasonable. Would you expect this to dealt with more quickly? I only had a response after 5 days after I followed up and asked for an update. Should the school not have been more pro-active.
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post - I couldn't find anywhere more relevant. SLT perspectives on how it should be handled would be really useful in terms of how I approach the school next. What should I do?
    Thank you in advance.

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

These things can't be solved overnight.

MrTeacher100 likes this.
  3. MrTeacher100

MrTeacher100 New commenter

I'd agree that everything can't be solved overnight, schools are very busy places. If the teacher is denying the allegations that'll mean it will unfortunately take even longer.

However, I would be concerned that nobody has discussed the issue with your child. Standard procedure in these scenarios, as far as I'm aware anyway, is to take statements from all those involved, including any witnesses. These statements should be signed by the adult taking the statement and, preferably, a second adult who should also be present at the time the statement is taken, along with the child giving the statement.

By law, the school is required to have a safeguarding children policy which should state the procedure the school follow. I'd request a copy of this policy from the school but please do acknowledged schools are busy places.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Did I miss something? Where in the OP's post does it mention this was an allegation against a teacher?

Safeguarding (aka child protection) is an area where information is only shared on a need to know basis. It could be that the school have followed policy to the letter but cannot share any further information with you at this time because it involves other children/staff members and would be a breach of confidentiality and could scupper any investigations undertaken by the Police or Social Services.

Ask to see a copy of the school's safeguarding policy or download it from their website.

5. MrTeacher100

6. MrTeacher100

My bad Snowyhead, thanks for pointing that out. Hope this doesn't post about 10 times, I'm trying to insert a quote but it doesn't appear to want to work.