1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child protection training

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FAIRYDELL, Nov 5, 2015.

1. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

It has been announced today that all staff MUST attend a child protection training session, after work for over two hours, without time in lieu or payment. I presume that teachers will participate as part of their directed time, but can all other staff be MADE to attend?
    Historically we have been able to take time in lieu.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Why isn't it on an INSET day? Though maybe that wouldn't help non-teaching staff....

3. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

I have no idea, FolkFan.

4. Morninglover

Maybe it's a question the teaching & other unions could ask?

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Discuss with Union rep... being told you have to work without being paid. Sounds a pretty serious issue to me.

6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

These nothing cheaper than a teachers time.............

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

"But what about the children......." (not your own, Senior management never care about those)

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think CP training is statutory for schools... but yeah, usually they work it into INSET days... that's the sensible thing to do.

9. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I'm guessing you're a TA or member of the support staff by your comments so therefore don't work to the directed time.

Have you had / or going to have an INSET day where the teachers write reports and you aren't required in school? Does your school close for polling day? Just because you cannot choose the time doesn't mean you haven't been given it in lieu...

10. School Boy Error

If you are sure the school definitely do not owe you any time whatsoever, refuse unless you are paid.

11. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

There is an inset day before the scheduled date, however, only teaching staff need attend. No other staff are contractually obliged, or paid to attend.
    We have offered to wait until Summer Term to take the time in lieu, when life is less manic, to no avail. The school isn't used as a polling station.

12. School Boy Error

I'm a little confused. Because you need not attend an INSET you will actually lose the money for that day? I've never heard of that happening. If your pay that month is the same as every other money, you have indeed been paid for a day that you did not work, so in effect owe the school time...

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

School Boy Error, TAs etc are often not salaried but paid an hourly rate, their hours may vary from week to week and they will only be paid during term time.
    In the situation described by the OP, I think the two hours should be added to their pay.

14. SchoolBoyError

SchoolBoyError Occasional commenter

Thanks, that is what I was trying to clarify. Our TA's are salaried so they get paid during the holidays and are contracted to specific hours. If the TA in this case is indeed paid an hourly rate I would strongly advise not attending the training unless they are paid - their Head cannot have their cake and eat it.

15. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

This is one occasion when I would say that it would be better to attend the training willingly and quietly negotiate time off later with your line manager than to make a big fuss. Child protection training should be mandatory if it isn't already - I know we had to do it every year - and TAs are often in a prime position to notice things or be told things that other teachers are not.

Failing that, the only way round it might be to have other commitments after school that are non-negotiable which you do and are allowed to do because you are not paid by the school for those hours. Like working in a pub. If the school is willing to compensate you for lost time/income then you can stay, but not if not.

16. Morninglover

So important, perhaps, that it shouldn't be added on, unpaid, to the end of a busy working day when everyone will be tired and less likely to take on board the key points....

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Totes agree but that's not down to the OP. Could maybe make this point if they do decide to stay for it.

18. Morninglover

Absolutely - or get his/her union to do so.

I remember lots of 'twilight' sessions - but those were normally in lieu of not having to attend an INSET days at another part of the year. But one's concentration at 4-6pm...? Not so good!

19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

The school should allow you 2 hours off in lieu.

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I cannot understand how a school can be so blind and plain daft.

Give'em the time off, at a time that THEY choose, not the school. e.g. a shopping afternoon in the run up to the end of term . . . try asking for that.

Best wishes