1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child protection procedure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Miss Pious, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Could well be....
    http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=6821

2. It does seem odd that there was only the child and the HT initially discussing it. I would have thought that it would have been sensible to have another member of staff there and someone to support the child as well as they were making quite a serious complaint. The flow chart to me indicates procedureonly from practitioner referring case to social services, rather than how the complaint is dealt with initially in school.
    I'm not sure what you would do about it though, hopefully other people will post with advice on this.To me it seems a bit weird that the child was alone with the HT in making the complaint and feels almost like they were hushed up?

3. When I reported a disclosure to CPO and later asked what had been the outcome, I was told this no longer concerned me as it was a confidential matter. I would therefore say that you have done the right thing by forwarding information and that you now have no further responsibility. However, if you think there really has been a cover up speak to your union for advice asap.

4. I believe you are within your rights to ask what has been done about a disclosure that you have reported to the designated person, and if you do not think it has been properly dealt with you should approach social services yourself.

5. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

My belief (as I have been told in training) is that once you have passed it on to the designated person at your school, (who may well be the Head), then you must let it go, do not expect to be told anything else, do not ask about it, do not talk about it to anyone (except the designated person if you absolutely have to,)
    (and I'm guessing), do not discuss it on an internationaly available public forum!

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

social servicesd have an obligation to follow up any report made to them.
    Normal procedure has not been followed here and I would be very worried.
    You sshould phone social services anonymously if you wish, giving them the information you know of and ask if any follow-up has been made to the original complaint.
    The child should never have been interviewed with just one member of staff, this is against child protection procedures. Please try to get social services alerted to the matter.

7. I agree that the child should nevery had been interviewed alone by the headteacher. That being said we are unaware of the Disclosure and as such don't know the potential seriousness of the accusation.
    If you are duely concerned your Child Protection Policy should have an 'Appointed Person' or a contact, It could be wise to contact them and explain what has happened just to make sure that you have fufilled your role. This could cause problemswith your SMT though.
    I am in the odd position of having went through the policy of reporting a disclosure and also have had an accusation made against me (it was false and proven to be). I can say that I have been through absolute hell being accused, but I would not hesitate to report any disclosure a child makes. I would also go above heads to ensure it got the attention it deserved.

8. Thanks for all the replies.

I have taken further action which I won't disclose here. Some of the advice was very helpful.[​IMG]

9. My initial instinct was the same as yours, it seems really strange.

10. Brill, glad we could all help! Best of luck with it xxx