1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child protection course as an nqt? is it compulsory?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by minnieminx, Jun 10, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I believe there is a standard about knowing safeguarding regulations.

But you definitely do need to do the course, as do all teachers employed in state schools. Every couple of years or so.

2. thanks for the reply...think my school did the course last year before i was there so it wont be due until next year. does the fact i have read the policies count? although i would like to do the course- but am a little concerned its onyl 6 weeks till the end of my nqt year and hoping they wont fail me for not having done one!

3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Should have been covered in your PGCE.
    Have you had to deal with any child protection issues like reporting a disclosure? If so that should be more than sufficient evidence that you met this standard

4. Yes, you need to go on the course.
    As a teacher you will have safeguarding training every 3 years, reading the policies is not enough.

5. It doesn't have to be a 'course' as such, it can be internal training signed off by the child protection officer in school. We have child protection training every year for every member of staff (teaching and non-teaching) on the INSET day when we go back in september. It is done by our child protection designated person who is also the pastoral deputy. NQTs are given a certificate with the aims and objectives of the session and a signature of attendance so they can keep it in their file and everyone else has to sign to say they've been there and this is kept in a central file.

6. I have had to fill in cause for concern forms which have been dealt with in the appropriate way.
    I didnt do a PGCE I did 4 years where we did a module on safeguarding but i havent had anything as such in my nqt year so maybe will look into a course.

thanks for the reply

7. i didnt have that in september so will have to look into going on a course
    thank for the info

8. Your designated person for child protection in school could go through it with you and just write a letter for your folder.

9. Not sure if it is compulsory to meet the standards for the NQT year but there are obviousy standards aimed at this.
    Will certainly be helpful so can't see why anyone would avoid this.

10. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We had internal training during NQT time and completed an online test - maybe this could be an option for you?

11. It is not compulsory for the NQT year and can be done internally, but I would do it - you wiull ahve to attend at regular intervals and this will enable you to meet the core standards for inductiuon so there is no real reaosn not to do the course.
    james