1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child placement in your own school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by renegade29, Jan 21, 2019.

1. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

Please can anyone answer what I hope is a simple enough question.

Say that you , as a teacher, work in a good school.

Do you as a parent, have a right to request that your own child may attend the said school in which you work?

So essentially, can you maneuver around factors such as catchment area etc by virtue of the fact that you work there?

If you know the answer or have any experience of said matters please let me know!

Thank you!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You can always ask then it will be up to the Head and/or Governors. I did it when my daughter was at Primary school and it was fine.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

When moving to a new (state selective) school as a member of the SLT I made it a condition of accepting the post that my son (it was a boy's school) would have place there, transferring from the similar school he was then attending. They agreed. (NB This was more than 15 years ago, and times change).

4. theschoolcounsellor

theschoolcounsellor New commenter

In our school the admissions criteria is

Looked after children
    Children with siblings in school
    Children of staff who've worked in the school 2 years or more
    Feeder primaries
    All other children

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

@renegade29 every school must publish its admissions policy stating who gets places, in what order of priority, if the school is oversubscribed at normal points of admission, ie Reception and Y7 (and Y12) in most places. If a school is undersubscribed and doesn't get enough applications to fill its places it must offer a place to anyone who applies. But as yours is a Good school I'll assume it is oversubscribed.

The admissions authority for the school - academy trust for academies, LA for LA Community and (most) VC schools, the governing body for other LA schools - then has to apply those criteria to decide who gets the places. So you need to find the admissions policy for the school and see how it prioritises applicants. A school can give priority to children of staff, but usually subject to certain limitations and a maximum number a year. But schools don't have to give staff priority.

It's different if your child wants a place outside normal points of admission, or mid-year eg you've just moved there. That will largely depend on whether the school has any vacancies in the year group your child would be in at the time you apply.

strawbs and nomad like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Daughter was at the same school as me for her 5 years.

I taught her in Years 10 and 11 !

8. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I've seen this several times. One traveled in with parent 30 miles.

9. renegade29

renegade29 New commenter

Thank you so much for your informed opinions. They have and will help much!