1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child nearby constantly being yelled at.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nerllybird, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Have you ever spoken to the neighbour? If not, maybe try and maneouvre yourself into a situation where you can say hello. Sometimes it's a bit like sitting in your car - you think you're insulated from actual people and can behave badly...until you realise that the person you just abused is actually someone you work with, haha. Whenever any shouting commences in my house I think of the new next-door neighbours who seem very nice and normal, unlike us. This at least prompts me to shut the windows. On the other side we have a retired woman and her incredibly shouty daughter, who has now reproduced and shows every sign of becoming equally shouty towards her little girl. I did once knock on the door and say that 'someone over the back' had asked me whether the middle one had hit the older one. Because we heard her do it, when all the windows were open. She hasn't done it since.

2. I have chatted to the mum a little bit and generally been friendly. I know I used to yell a lot and found it very challenging to be on my own for days with 2 little kids. It just seems both loud and almost continual and the little boy never gets anything right.

3. I see women like this shouting at small children on the street and in supermarkets. The kids don't seem to be particularly naughty. The poor girls are stressed out and need some training in child -rearing, but each case is probably different, so it's too easy to stereotype.

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

It is easy to judge but I was in a park the other week and couldnt help feeling that parents were being awfully nasty in what they were saying to their kids. This park is in one of the highest achieving and affluent part of one of the largest cities in the UK!!!!

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Spent a couple of hours on a train tonight and there was a family sitting nearby - mum, dad and little boy, aged about 4. Nice little kid, pleasant and chatty.
    Dad seemed to me to be a bit controlling, in a kind of fake way - I can't really explain. But then near the end of the journey Mum just let rip at the poor kid - shouting loudly at him for being noisy (which he wasn't - she was!) and 'really pushing it' and so on. Dad took the boy, who was crying by this time, on his knee and he settled down but mum just carried on and on, telling him to shut up and so on - the poor kid wasn't making a sound!
    I wonder if dad's controlling was a kind of learned counterbalance to mum's fury - no other word for it. She definitely has anger issues. It left me feeling a bit unsettled. The poor boy was getting such an onslaught from his mum and must have been really confused.
    (On the train this morning there was another family with a girl called Trafford. 'Nuff said!)

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yelling is not an uncommon communication method in certain families. I wonder if her children even notice; often they don't.

7. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Some people don't deserve to have children.
    I feel so sorry for children who are treated like that and I think we should all have the guts to intervene... If the parent's yelling doesn't appear to upset the child - if they don't react by crying - then that makes me think they are hardened to this sort of treatment. That's is just awful.

8. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Vile treatment of children is dished out across all spectrums of society.

9. One of our neighbours was a pharmacist who shouted at her children. Now I know we have all shouted at our children at some stage but this was uncontrollable shouting, she really lost it, she really scared me so how her children felt goodness knows.
    The scary thing about it was that seconds later she would come out of the house to hang washing and smile sweetly at me and calmly started chatting to me!
    I was relieved when they moved away!

10. It's the constant shouting and what she says. I hold my hands up as not very good parent but I sought help and tried to improve. The poor kid will have no sense of self worth.