1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child keeps excluding himself from lessons - ASD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Christine86, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Christine86

Christine86 New commenter

Hello all,

I have been teaching for 11 years but only in my 2nd year of SEN. I work in an ASD class (Year 7).

I have one pupil who will not complete his work in class and will not attend specific classes around the school (Drama, Music, Media Studies). He will complete his work with me, however, I am meant to be teaching another class during the time he is not with me. So during this time, he often removes himself from the classroom and sits in the corridor. I have tried to include his personal interests, motivators, working in a quiet space, working in the corridor where he likes to sit, now/ next board, visual timetable). He point blank refuses, leaves the class and sits on the floor of the corridor. Unless I'm there to work 1:1 with him, he will not do any work at all. I'm in the process of trying to buy a sand timer, so he has a set time to work before his reward time begins. His motivators are no longer working as he seems quite content 'thinking' in the corridor.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something obvious, being new to SEN, I'm still learning.

Please, if you have any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them :)

Thank you x

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

This sounds tricky. Have you tried giving him a ‘transition’ object to have while he is not working with you to remind him that you will be back at some point during the day. It might be a photo of you, or something of yours to ‘look after’ or even something like a scarf that belongs to you (if he’s safe with something like that!)
    It might be useful to look into his early childhood as it sounds like there are some attachment issues going on. Good luck!

3. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

I think the idea of giving him a transitional object is a great one. Also, depending on how verbal he is and his overall ability, you could give him a table and ask him to write down one interesting fact from his other lessons, which he will then come to show you at the end of the day. Tell him you're very keen to hear what he's learning in those classes and he's the only one who can tell you. He might be motivated by the prospect of an extra meeting with you/the need to find out something on your behalf. If that's beyond his ability level, a chart that his other subject teachers fill in (one sticker for each lesson, regardless of how well he does there) and that he can then bring to show to you might work. This would allow you to chat about how his lessons have been, whether good or bad, and it would add some consistency to his day if he knows it will end with five minutes with you. I think it's important to get away from a totally reward-based approach, as this is often unhelpful for kids with attachment difficulties. What they are craving is the sense of secure relationship and closeness with a trusted adult, and so everything else is secondary to them. The goal needs to be to help him trust more adults and to understand that you and the school are reliable and consistent.

I am teaching a pupil who is similarly attached to me and who can't cope with the expectation that she will have other teachers or sometimes have to share my lesson with other students. I've been gently introducing something similar with her, and now it works about 50% of the time. It doesn't work all the time, but you need to treat each new day as a fresh start. I understand that her clinginess around me will increase if things at home aren't so good, and that when they're better, she will relax more. It's a work in progress.

phlogiston likes this.