1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child initiated cooking - roleplay.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by ArtistS4, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have to plan and give a lesson on cooking as a roleplay. I've never given a role play lesson so am a little stuck for ideas. Any tips/suggestions?

Thank you!

2. ArtistS4

ArtistS4 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. This is for a new job I have as an Early Years Practitioner - start the job tomorrow. The head of Early Years has asked me to plan my first 3 weeks of lessons already and one is 'Child initiated cooking as a role play'. It's tricky for me to plan when I don't actually know what resources the school have.

3. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Oh well it sounds an odd request to plan for, but good luck in your new job.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It seems very strange to call this a lesson. I think the usual way would be to set up a role-play area and play in it with the children modelling what you would like them to do, being open to the possibility they might want to do something different. Or, perhaps, tell a story and use role-play to tell it, making porridge for the three Bears, for example. Another way would be to set up a scene (Three Bears house with broken chair etc., a bean stalk leading up to the sky etc and get the children's ideas leading (perhaps) to telling the traditional stories. This is a bit more like a lesson, I still think it's odd though.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does the H of EYs refer to these activities as lessons?
    Forgive my nosiness but I took a look at your other posts and you seem to be new to Early Years and not specifically trained in them.