1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child initiated/adult inititated assessment in new EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Emnemz, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Is it just me reading too fast or is there no mention of the 80/20 ratio for EYFSP assessment? Don't know if I've missed it or if they've got rid of it! Anybody know?
    TIA!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

There is nothing in the Statutory Framework but perhaps there might be something in the new profile? I'm assuming there will be a new profile ...

3. I can't see any reference to it but what I did notice is a distinct move towards more adult directed activities in Reception to get them 'ready for year one'. Poor loves!

4. Msz

The new profile will be published in the autumn ...

5. So, does that mean we have to use the old ones in September?

6. Msz

I think it means there won't be one initially ...they are trialling new version over the summer [​IMG]

7. They sound very organised! [​IMG]

8. oh when when will they stop moving the goalposts and using the under 6's as guine pigs to try things out??
    * sadly accepts probably never* :(
    new EYFS...what a birthday present...NOT!!!

9. The new documents says that it's up to practitioners to decide the balance of adult led and child initiated activities.

10. I'm asking about assessment, not activities :)

11. oops - sorry!

12. This was discussed in the consultation and said that it caused much confusion - the onus on the balance of adult directed and child initiated - assessments and activities is going to be on the teacher, which I think is much better - this is how I've taken it anyway. Moderation visits always focused too much on this rather than the quality and purpose of the observations being used for assessments.

13. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

We were told recently by our LA that the new profile is likely to only be completed at the end of the Reception year. We're waiting at the moment to find out how they are looking for us to assess those older EYFS kids; might just be the same as those younger throughout the year (against Development Matters), and then just sum up at the end of Reception with the profile.

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

seems to be that way, yes. had a note round from LA today - apparently the profile will be published 'later', and that it will all be different from our 'old way of working'. very helpful. we have training in July - surely that's a bit late, with only 2 weeks of term left for people to think/organise/question?

15. Check Dept of Education publications. I think the Stat Framework and Profile were available as of today 30/03/12 for download and to purchase.

16. I have seen the statutory framework, this was available to downloads from 27th, but I can't see the profile? Could you post a link please? [​IMG]

17. Msz

The EYFS Profile 2012
    The EYFS requires that all children are assessed in the summer term of their reception year. This assessment is called the EYFS Profile. <u>In autumn 2012, the Standards and Testing Agency (STA), an executive agency of the Department for Education, will publish the EYFS Profile Handbook, which is designed to support teachers and other professionals to undertake EYFS Profile assessments. </u>The Handbook will be supported by exemplification material, which offers a point of reference to help teachers and other professionals to make accurate judgements about each child's level of attainment.

During spring and summer 2012,a number of local authorities and schools have agreed to trial the new EYFS Profile. The STA will produce an interim Handbook and exemplification material to support these trials, which will be launched in April. We will provide further information on the trials in due course.

18. Msz