1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child in who cannot read and have no support

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by teemc, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I have recently taken over a class as a job share and am finding it really difficult as I have a child in my class who cannot read at all. I have a classroom assistant however I only have her limted time a week and during this time I have 8 children who have to be taken to do the 5 minute box and various other support resources. This means the child needs my constant support and attention as they cannot be left to do any sort of task as they cannot read a thing. The child needs every word read to them which means I do not have time to work with other groups as fully as I would like. I have spoken to the head teacher and have been told that there are so many children in the school with needs that the child cannot have individual support. Also I have 11 children in my class on various support plans which I feel I cannot fulfil due to the lack of support I have. I know I no means have the worst case senario as I have heard of people with several children who cannot read or write in their classrooms, however this is my first year out of probation and my job share too so I am struggling. Advise would be great !! I have a primary 5 class btw.

2. I'm guessing you don't feel able to speak to your jobshare partner about this? Even if you're not in on the same days, could you email? They might have some strategies in place or advice and the child might find it easier if they have a continuation of experience throughout the week too. If the child was in your school last year, could you find out who their teacher was and ask for advice? If not, EAL teachers or teachers with experience of teaching pupils with EAL may have good advice, or even resources. I'm always asking my colleagues for help and advice! Whenever i've had middle/upper pupils with poor reading skills or EAL but they can cope with the tasks, I often buddy them up with a more confident partner once i've gone over the activity once, so that they know they've got support, even if I'm working with another group. Amd make sure all relevant parties are supporting you appropriately to get that child reading! Best of luck with it all - i'm sure you're doing a fab job! x

3. I had a child who couldn't read when I had P5/6 (probation cover) last year. She had a couple of support-sessions but not during my time. There were many other children in the class who were poor readers and over half the class were reluctant to do much and there were lots of behaviour challenges.
    Apart from specific reading tasks I ensured that activities did not require them to be able to read. I did try to build in some simple bits of reading but this was additional.
    What I'm trying to suggest is that you plan around the reading abilities rather than despite them. Then you can get on with teaching and avoid the need to be a reader for the child. When we were doing written work I gave her a dictaphone to use in the corridor -which picked up some good bits but often a lot of background noise- or asked her to draw a picture to show what the others were writing -then encouraged her to try to write the initial letter of words (and even sometimes whole words!).

4. Just an idea - You could get the child a set of fluency cards (20 x cvc words) - each card to be timed daily (5 challenges per card) by a peer of their choice, with a view to decreasing recognition time over the week. Other child will lead the activity. Cards with increasing level of difficulty (ask if you would like a copy),