1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child head banging

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, Jan 4, 2012.

1. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

Wondered whether anyone had any experience of a child repeatedly head banging. We have just done a home visit for a new child starting our Nursery who will be 4 in March who spent almost the entire visit, at least 20 minutes sitting in an armchair rocking backwards and forwards banging his head on the back of the chair. I thought it a bit strange but thought perhaps it was a shyness as we were there but then Mum brought it up that she was worried as he does it all the time and they can't sit next to him on the sofa as he bangs all the time.
    Obviously we don't know much more as to whether there are any other problems yet but wondered if anyone had experience or knew why he might be doing this, whether he may be on the autistic spectrum perhaps. We will find out more when he starts with us.He apparently was late to speak and only started about a year ago and does not say a lot. Not sure how much, as he didn't speak to us at all but grunted a bit. He is in family with English and another language.He has been at home mainly with the Mum speaking the Non English Language however he does understand English as Dad is English and siblings already at school.

2. May2

Wondered whether anyone had any experience of a child repeatedly head banging. We have just done a home visit for a new child starting our Nursery who will be 4 in March who spent almost the entire visit, at least 20 minutes sitting in an armchair rocking backwards and forwards banging his head on the back of the chair. I thought it a bit strange but thought perhaps it was a shyness as we were there but then Mum brought it up that she was worried as he does it all the time and they can't sit next to him on the sofa as he bangs all the time.
    Obviously we don't know much more as to whether there are any other problems yet but wondered if anyone had experience or knew why he might be doing this, whether he may be on the autistic spectrum perhaps. We will find out more when he starts with us.He apparently was late to speak and only started about a year ago and does not say a lot. Not sure how much, as he didn't speak to us at all but grunted a bit. He is in family with English and another language.He has been at home mainly with the Mum speaking the Non English Language however he does understand English as Dad is English and siblings already at school.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It can be quite common in younger children but I would be a little concerned as this child is almost 4 so it might be worth mum mentioning it to the Health Visitor or GP.

4. It has ben cited as a sign of insecurity.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

My feeling is that the chances are that there's something not quite right, but I'd run a mile from suggesting a diagnosis myself.

6. May2

Yes I think I will obviously have to see how his behaviour and level of development is like in Nursery. I have since done a search on the internet which says it is more common in boys but that it usually stops by the age of 2.