1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

child functioning at around 12 months in year 1

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by unnamed, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Hi all

I have a child coming to my year 1 class who has no speech, has just learnt to walk but has very poor balance and motor skills.

This child will have a 1-1 most of the time ( I have no idea how I will cope with this child along with other challenging children in a class of 30 on my own!!!! )

Can anyone help?

I have no clue about a curriculum/ resources etc

I would like to focus on communication

I feel that most of what I will be teaching the other children will be a complete waste of time for this child and need a completely separate curriculum.

Do you have any experience / are you in a similar situation?

Do you know of a website with resources/ curriculum ideas I can go to?

Please help!

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hi, If you want to focus on communication, get the speech and language therapist on board. At a year you should expect the child to have reasonable comprehension (not as much as your 5 year old though!) at least understanding single words and possibly two words be able to imitate gestures and join in nursery rhyme type activities even though they don't have any specific clear spoken words yet. If the child has global delay you need to build up comprehension and speech will usually follow. If you try to build up speech too quickly without the comprehension you may actually delay meaningful speech or accidentally encourage the child to talk without meaning (the speech equivalent to barking at print.) www.hello.org.uk have some good free leaflets that can help with expected levels and ideas to develop communication that fit in with everyday living.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Does anyone else think it's terribly sad that this child is in mainstream school (presumably from what you say having a class of 30)? I'm just thinking of our lovely local special school with all its wonderful resources that would stimulate and support a child with such special needs. Not to mention the small classes and qualified and experienced staff ... Anyway, given a 12 months development, you need to get a copy of the development matters stages from your EYFS team and that will give you milestones for age bands, to give some idea of next steps in terms of development. This is still online somewhere and is also probably on your LA website (or with a link). As well as stages of development, there are activity ideas. I'd make sure you are getting lots of support from your local special school - they should be able to arrange some sort of outreach or inreach programme. And make sure all the services the child sees come into school rather than a clinic.

4. Have a look at the EYFS and make use of the Early Support Developmental Journal. You can use both of these to get a starting point for assessing where the child is at but also to give you some medium-long term targets for where to go next (EYFS is too broad for good target type next steps and you may need to break the steps on the ES Dev, Journal down further too depening on the child's rate of progress). Get a couple of good child development books if you haven't already to give you a sense of developmental milestones - not that they are the be all an end all but it gives you a good sense of perspective and again may give you medium-long term things to aim for.

5. Yes I do think it's very sad. The child may well end up transferring to a special school within the next year or two though-I think sometimes it's part of the parental grieving process to think that their child can still cope with mainstream and soon they realise that the best place for a child with such severe needs is a special school.

6. Either that or the local area is not well equipped with special schools.

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Hmm... It was that 'parents have the choice' bit.They chose mainstream and one by one the special schools disappeared or got redesignated and became less and less suitable for some groups. So as time goes on it appears that in some areas parents actually don't have the choice at all!
    I agree it seems sad - how can a big class give adequate opportunities for a youngster who could be a heavyweight into messy play? Teachers are certainly expected to be 'wonder people'.

8. KimBolger

KimBolger New commenter

Hi,
    I work as an advisory teacher with children with complex needs who attend mainstream schools so therefore will give advice on how to include the children into their class. The main areas that we suggest schools working on are: communication, sensory curriculum and ICT. I would suggest introducing object cues (objects of reference) to represent the key parts of the day eg spoon for lunch etc. Re communication it is important to ask mum what are favourite toys/ activities adn then use these as a starting point fo communciation i.e indicating that they want more. Link in activities to topic of class adn then base sensory work around this. Use a simple story accompanied with objects if you look on internet for charity bag books they have lovely ones but just as easy to make your own. Simple cause and effect toys/ activities would also be a good starting point can link in with computer -Priorywoods adn SEN switcher are good websites and child can operate by pressing the space bar. Good website for cheap sensory toys is novelty warehouse.
    It will be very challenging but as others have said speak to therapists involved with the child, link in with special school if you do not have an advisory service and look at developmental journal as a recording tool. need to look at p scales as the child gets older.
    Hope this has been of some help
    Kim

9. Yes, I think most people will agree with you, however not many people dare to say that the emperor is not wearing any clothes.

10. I was referring to this post