1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child friendly targets for year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Sep 15, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How do you phrase yours so that the children understand them?
    What do you have as targets for writing, especially when the children can't read or write at all really?

My children should have targets like 'form letters correctly', 'use phonic knowledge to write whole words', 'learn a letter sound or two'!. Last one slightly tongue in cheek, but too many children need it. But if children don't know any letter sounds and cannot blend to read or segment to spell then how the heck will they know which target is which and so on?

School wants us to have maths and literacy targets, the children to know them and they are to be displayed. I have to do this so no point posting that you think it is nonsense...I need ideas on what to do!

Much as I loved year 2, year 1 is very hard and I'm clueless!

All help and ideas greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have group targets rather than individual ones because like you say, they can't read them! I type out and laminate and put in a plastic sentence holder so they can sit on the table and they are shared at the start of each group's adult focused write session (we don't do them for maths) and looked at again at the end to see if they've met any of it!
    Currently my group targets are:
    'I can write a sentence independently. I remember to use capital letters, full stops and finger spaces'
    'I can use phonics to spell words independently'
    'I can write my name. I can use phonics to spell words independently'
    'I can write my name. I can write some of the sounds I need'

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you both.

I might ask if we can have table top targets for adult group work and so not have a display. It does make more sense.

Maths targets this term are just counting, so I was going to have a fancy number snake/caterpillar and clip pegs with names on to the number they can count up to. Maybe...

I used Bev's site a lot when I was in KS2, but I don't find it very KS1 based...which is fine, plenty of others are and it is fabulous for KS2.

5. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you!