1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child friendly IEPs?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by janethis, Aug 20, 2008.

1. I am the SENCo and at our recent Inspection our IEP format was used. We use IEP writer but the team felt that they weren't child friendly ....so I was wondering whether anybody would share with me what they use? How theirs are done?

thanks[​IMG]

2. We use a CD ROM with a child friendly format purchased by our SENCo, after attending a course. It produces colourful IEPs from templates, the headings are in 'child speak' (Things I find difficult... My targets are... etc!) and are to be completed with the child. However, there is no bank of statements as there is with IEP Writer - we used to use that software too! We base our targets on 'Letters and Sounds' and the objectives/I can statements from the new literacy and numeracy strategies - obviously broken down into small steps and at the appropriate level for the child!

I think I have found the correct item on the web - Pupil Friendly IEPs by Gillian Shotton.

Hope this is of some help!

3. Thanks, I might just make my own template.....part of the problem with IEP writer (in our school) is that teachers aren't altering any of the statements so to not have a bank of statements would be helpful - iyswim?

I had heard of that book by Gillian Shotton but wasn't sure if it was any good.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

How thick do you think you are?

a. Fairly thick. (I can't spell my name)

b. Moderately thick. (I can't recognise my name}

c. Desperately thick (I don't know my name)

5. Winnie Woo

Winnie Woo New commenter

We use the Gillian Shotton templates. The cd rom comes with a book and the templates are really simple with nice cartoons. I think they're by Lucky Duck publications. It was quite cheap too, about £20 and you can copy it onto different computers.

We used to use IEP writer, but they weren't child or parent friendly. Also I found as a teacher that it was too easy to click on a target than to think about what the child really needs. I'd definitely recommend the Lucky Duck ones.

6. Could you send me a copy of one of these templates i have got to hand them in by tomorrow and did not copy the ones we use off the school network Thank you B
    [​IMG]