1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child-friendly food colouring dispensers

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Wotworklifebalance, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

Does nayone have a solution to this? I know that food colouringisn't wildly expensive but I'm looking for a reliable method for children to add their own food colouring to play-dough/gloop etc without tipping the whole bottle in.
    In an ideal world I would teach the children to very gently tip the bottles so that only a little comes out but so far haven't managed this!
    Looking forward to your creative and imaginative solutions!

2. Does the colouring need to be liquid? Perhaps you could try a dry (powder) version. Much easier to control.

3. Wotworklifebalance

Good idea but not nearly as cheap or as easy to buy.

4. Use a pipette or syringe...

5. we use a pipette or else powder paint works well to colour playdough

6. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Sometimes you can get the kind in a dropper bottle that you tip up and squeeze out a drop at a time.

But if not, could you decant the food colouring into another dropper type of bottle? Maybe eye drops?

Or maybe a container with a pump, like soap or hand gel?

7. Wotworklifebalance

Thanks for all of your ideas. Unfortunately we had a child who reacted badly to powder paint in gloop last year so I'm not allowed to use this for play dough or gloop. Will check out the chemists and dispenser bottles over the weekend - I'm not allowed to re-use old eye drop bottles, even thoroughly washed and even when I suggested steam sterilsation, because of dreaded elf'n'safety.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I How about these www.silverspoon.co.uk/home/products/cakecraft/food-colours--flavourings---extracts

Sainsbury's sell them, Perfect dropper cap!