1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child drop offs in Foundation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Jamie8, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Jamie8

Jamie8 New commenter

Hi,
    Would like to start a thread based on how you manage drop offs and inevitable discussions in the mornings with parents. We all know it can get busy. I’m in a mixed Foundation Unit and was wondering if any of you promote independence and at what point in the year. I want to create independence, but keep the parents happy.
    All of your experiences of managing will be gratefully received.

Thanks

2. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

In our school we don't see the parents at drop off which can be annoying if you need to catch a specific parent who for example doesn't collect just drops off we do tend to make more phone calls to parents because of this. The children come in the front and walk through to our classrooms. However we do catch parents at the end of the day if necessary. In my previous school it was a bit chaotic so I ended up having to jingle the bells at about 20 to 9 and say it's time for parents to leave and for children to sit down for the register.

3. May2

May2 Established commenter

@teapot24 are you including Foundation children, Nursery and Reception in this, it sounds a bit formal for these days.

Our nursery entrance door opens into the cloakroom, then they walk through to the classroom. For about the first 2 or 3 weeks parents generally help the children come in and find their named peg and help hang up things on pegs, come in and help find their name to post,t say goodbye as child goes of to continuous provision. The children very soon, after a few days know where their peg is as will find it during the session when they go outside as well. The cloakroom is fairly small and narrow and with several parents fussing it can seem overcrowded and daunting for the less confident children. So we tend to put a notice up when we feel it would be beneficial to all the children and say we are encouraging independence and would prefer if they can leave them at the door. Many of the parents are usually pleased when we say this as the children can make more fuss the longer they stay but the parents can feel guilty rushing off if others are staying longer. One member of staff opens the door and stays by the door for a few minutes while they come in and can have brief chat or take messages but also watches for any escapees. Parents sign if a different person will collect so don't need discussion on this. Obviously if there is a child that is not settled the parent can come in to start with. However with our induction and home visits and generally all children having been to pre school or day nursery, we actually rarely have any really clingy ones.
    By the time they join Reception they have just about all been through the Nursery and so are left at the classroom door from about the 2nd day. They do not come in through the main school doors until Year 1.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Children arrive at any time between 7.45 and 8.45, so there isn't the 'rush' at the door.
    Some parents still bring their child, sort out water bottles and bags and the like for them, but most send their child through the door to sort themselves out. I don't make a fuss, when the child is ready they generally tell their parent they want to do it themselves.
    By reception sorting out bottles, reading folders, etc become a 'job' for the child to do and they do it independently.
    Reception and nursery use the same outer door, but go in to separate classrooms and cloakrooms are in the classroom.
    I generally see most parents most mornings, but not always if it isn't my duty day and I'm somewhere else in the school. If I'm not about, they leave a message with whoever was.

We are a small school though, with just 15 in nursery and 15 in reception.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I was a big believer in parents coming in with their children and doing an activity together. I found this worked well, helped children to settle, and supported home learning because parents could see how they could support at home. It also made it easy for those day to day conversations. Fast forward to new head who didn't approve and the children had to be left at the door and if parents wanted to talk to me, they had to make an appointment. I hated it, and it took children longer to settle and spoiled the very good relationships we had with our parents.
    We encouraged independence from the start and modeled this to parents so that they could see how to support that too.

6. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Just reception children. We don't have a nursery. To be honest the children get used to it very quickly although I'm not too keen.