1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child Development OCR 2012 Spec

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by amyjanebow, Jan 9, 2017.

1. amyjanebow

amyjanebow New commenter

Hi all,

I am teaching the child development OCR 2012 spec and I am just starting the child study task. I am finding there is very vague and very limited guidance on how to teach or how to complete this. I am struggling to give the students guidance on the type of appropriate questions they can research (there is only a few examples in the textbook) and I cannot find a completed piece of coursework to use that will guide me and guide my teaching.

OCR has themes:

Physical Development, fine manipulative skills, creative play, social skills, intellectual development and language skills.

There are examples in the test book of questions such as 'how does a three and a half year old child demonstrate creative play skills?'. That is fine but in an observation I'm not sure whether they need to use a behavioural checklist and come up with a list of behaviours beforehand to see what they are looking for. I'm not sure what the 'methods' they talk about in the textbook are. I understand about time and event sampling (I am a psychology teacher primarily) but I don't know if this is what OCR is talking about and whether this is appropriate. I have gotten them to brain storm areas which interest them and will get them to do some very broad secondary research but I am struggling to know where to go from there.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. amyjanebow

amyjanebow New commenter

Another Q: because it is an observation are they allowed to participate in any way? Can they get a child to complete a task as this would be an experimental task?