1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child Development - Best route for Level 2

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by neenajayne, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi
    I may be bringing child development back into our school next year and would really like some advice on what type of course to go for and then which exam board.
    GCSE or BTEC? I have seen on some posts on here that BTEC will be changing in Sep 2012? Is that correct and are the new guidance documents out yet? I have been on the edexel website and find it very confusing.
    Have taught WJEC child development before, and dont know wether to stick to that? Lots on here also saying about OCR.
    Luckily the management team have left it to my discretion, and would like to hear from me what I have found out about the different courses.
    Anybody been through the same recently? Any advice will be greatly received.
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I may be bringing child development back into our school next year and would really like some advice on what type of course to go for and then which exam board.
    GCSE or BTEC? I have seen on some posts on here that BTEC will be changing in Sep 2012? Is that correct and are the new guidance documents out yet? I have been on the edexel website and find it very confusing.
    Have taught WJEC child development before, and dont know wether to stick to that? Lots on here also saying about OCR.
    Luckily the management team have left it to my discretion, and would like to hear from me what I have found out about the different courses.
    Anybody been through the same recently? Any advice will be greatly received.
    Thanks

3. If I were you I'd stick with what you know.
    We do OCR Child Development and because the member of staff delivering it has been doing so for 20 odd years she knows it inside out, even after the changes in the Controlled Assessment methods.
    We also do BTEC Health and Social Care - the content is great, however the constant changing the the level of paperwork you have to produce is mind boggling. You are right about them changing, previously they were all assessed in the centre, the new version (subject to approval) will have an externally marked unit to increase the "rigour" plus of course they will no longer count for 2 GCSEs which was a selling point previously - you might also find that Child Development is not available in the first tranche of new qualfications so you'd be doing Health and Social Care which is somewhat different.