1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child bereavement.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mrs_RC, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Mrs_RC

Mrs_RC New commenter

Today I have learnt that a child in my Yr 2 class (6 years old) is losing his father today. I have few details, but it would seem that something drastic and reasonably sudden has happened.

I had a call from a hospital's Chaplaincy service this lunchtime to tell me that they were 'withdrawing care' today.

I have, obviously, spoken to select SLT members to apprise them of this and I expect in due course they will give me direct advice about how best to support the child and family when we know more and the child returns to school.

But are there any others who have experience or can offer advice about how best to deal with this?

2. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

This happened to me a few years ago - heartbreaking. Have a look at the Winston's Wish website. Try to keep school as normal as possible because nothing else in the child's life will feel normal at the moment.

blueskydreaming and Mrs_RC like this.
  3. Slippersandagoodbook

Slippersandagoodbook New commenter

When this happened to a child in my class I was referred to Child Bereavement UK and the 'Elephant's Tea Party' resources. They were reasonably useful with common sense advice :)

4. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

This happened to my own 2 children when they were very young and their Dad died. I think the most important piece of advice I could give you, would be to talk to the boy's mother about how she would like this to be handled or acknowledged. As a mum, its not something I would have wanted SLT deciding on my behalf. It will be important too for you to get some advice and support on how bereavement affects young children. If I had a pound for everyone who said about my two, "They're coping really well", I would be very well off! Children can be devastated one moment, then asking what's for tea moments later. Grief is a complicated and lengthy process and whilst we teach The Facts of Life in a very considered way, we're not so good at dealing with The Facts of Death. Good luck and remember to look after yourself too as you support this poor little boy through a terrible time .