1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child benefit question.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jonkers, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

A question for those of you with more than one child, the eldest of which has just passed the age at which child benefit stops (19 or post A level full time education)
    Does the second child become the first in terms of renumeration? In other words, do you receive £20+ for the second instead of £13+ currently or do you carry on with the payment at the second child level until that child is no longer eligible.
    Before anyone asks, I have looked on the relevant website - with no joy.

2. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

A question for those of you with more than one child, the eldest of which has just passed the age at which child benefit stops (19 or post A level full time education)
    Does the second child become the first in terms of renumeration? In other words, do you receive £20+ for the second instead of £13+ currently or do you carry on with the payment at the second child level until that child is no longer eligible.
    Before anyone asks, I have looked on the relevant website - with no joy.

3. Hi- I am in the same position, and my understanding is ...no. I think you receive the same as you did before for younger children.

4. Hi - Yes, unless they have changed the rules recently, you receive the higher amount for your second child I was in this position in September last year.

5. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Oh bum, I had hoped to get the higher level for another few years. Not quite there yet, A levels next summer but was looking at my bank statements today and it really does make a huge difference - I will miss it once it's gone. [​IMG]
    Does it go the month they leave school or the month they start at university?

6. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

I like that reply better!

7. It appears I may be wrong...

8. My son left college in Summer 2011 having done A levels and it changed at the beginning of September. So I think it must go by academic year.

9. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Wrong would be good [​IMG] Thanks for replying anyway.

10. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Did it happen automatically or did you have to fill in a form? Did your younger child then go up to the higher rate, i.e. become child one?

11. Good for me too!

12. It all happened automatically - I had previously had a letter from child benefit asking what he was doing at 16 and then I think between first and second year at college I got a letter asking if he was still in full time education. Then I got another letter, probably May/June time - I can't remember exactly, stating that as of a date in September 2011, ( I think it was 5th) I would not get CB for him and would get £20+ for my daughter.This is the first thread I have posted to but I'm glad I can be of help.

13. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

Thank you anda, that has been really helpful and cheered up my evening no end!