1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Child 7 sends letter to Santa asking for home and food

Discussion in 'Personal' started by afterdark, Nov 19, 2019.

1. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

That makes no sense, that child has child benefit, more than enough to eat on.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I live in hope, probably misguided, that after the election the country will be back on the road towards improved public services and support for the less well off. All these spending pledges! It’ll be interesting, although probably depressing, to see what transpires.

needabreak, bajan and nomad like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The children are currently living with a relative. There is no explanation of why they are separated from her. Its a bit of a stretch to blame Tory policy. For all anyone knows she could be mentally or physically ill and incapable of looking after them properly. Recently released from prison. Anything.

Of course a 7 yr old wants her Mummy.

needabreak, oldsomeman and nomad like this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I don't think the child gets the child benefit paid into her bank account.

It reminds me of a child I taught. Mother's partner used to lock the kitchen, so the children couldn't get food. One morning, this child found the kitchen unlocked, so he went in and got himself some breakfast. Mum's partner came in and found him,took the breakfast away from him and told him that he had to go to school to get his breakfast (we ran a breakfast club). Yes, mum got child benefit; that child wasn't benefiting.

Social Services were involved, and the child eventually went to live with his grandmother, where he was properly cared for and fed. Both his behaviour and his work at school improved expotentially once he was living with gran. He had been struggling to even achieve a Level 3 in KS2 SATs when living at home; he actually achieved Level 4 in English & science and Level 5 in maths once living with gran.

6. Corvuscorax

Thats my experience too. Given how plentiful and cheap food is in this country, a child going without is almost always a child having it withheld, rather than a child whose carers don't have access to enough food for them.

I had a sixth former sofa surfing around various relatives, each one taking him for a few night then passing him on. To all intents and purposes he looked well off. Some relatives gave him passed-on clothes and shoes, much of it top brand, and in excellent condition. But he had no access to money what so ever, and patchy access to food. He had no one to pay his UCAS application, for example. And he was regularly very hungry. I introduced a biscuit tin into the class room. We were only allowed to offer anything to eat if it was offered to everyone, not just one, but he knew to arrive early, fill his pockets and make sure he left enough in the tin not to provoke comment.

There are exceptions, but food is plentiful and cheap, and providing it rarely a genuine problem.

Providing adequate housing for your child, that is an entirely different matter

7. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

John McDonnell was on Radio 4's Today programme this morning talking about the scandal of people living in storage containers. I used to live in an old unit that was part of the accommodation block when the channel tunnel was built so I wasn't happy hearing his 'anger'.

That's John McDonnell who owns one large house in London and has a second home on the Norfolk Broads.

The man is scum.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  8. Corvuscorax

some storage container homes are lovely. Difficult to cool in the summer is the main complaint I have heard.

9. Jude Fawley

People own what they want but what I find really galling is the fact he's taking up two properties when one is enough and then complaining about homelessness.

When he's part of the cause of it.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Another thread about poverty.
    Pointing at it.

11. Jude Fawley

Desperate stuff to pull at the heartstrings. Desperate indeed: "we're all in this together" nonsense.

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

By what right are calling someone scum?

How so ? One owning 2 house is not the cause of homelessness.

The lack of house building by the Tories on other hand...

HelenREMfan likes this.
  13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Is it? If she does not have a home where is her food cooked?

14. Corvuscorax

yes, no one in this country is unable to get food.

Homelessness, on the other hand is a serious problem. Hunger isn't

15. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I was Santa on Sunday: a nine year old girl wanted me to help stop someone from bullying her. Thankfully the bullying was not at school and safeguarding did not seem to be much of an issue. As the grotto visits and gifts were free, there were loads of low income families taking advantage and doing photos with their mobile phones.

16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

My question was where will she cook this affordable food, if she has no home, as you acknowledge as a problem.

studentcrisis likes this.
  17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I would save yopur wrath for the people indifferent as to whether you live or die, and would consider you an indigent scrounger. A clue: I don't think it's John McDonnell who would be numbered amongst them.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Food is only cheap if you have the money to buy it. I live less than a hundred yards from a disused shop, which has become a food bank. It is not just the indigent you see queuing up for food, far from it,

afterdark likes this.
  19. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Children are often unable to get their own food. If the adults in their lives do not provide it they just go hungry. That’s why so many kids arrive at school hungry each morning. For some kids their first meal of the day is their free lunch.

Corvuscorax likes this.
  20. Corvuscorax

exactly, it is not lack of food but lack of care that leaves children hungry. Their parents can (almost all) provide food, but some don't.