1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chickens then and now.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandala1, Oct 11, 2015.

1. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

They just don't taste the same. Do they? Or is it me being old and grumpy? I'm not just talking about bog standard battery chickens..... I've just roast a free range chicken from Sainsburys and if it had a taste it was odd. Waitrose are no better.

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No they don't - different diet for starters

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Taste is a difficult thing to remember; our appreciation of taste almost certainly changes over time.

We had chicken this evening and it definately had a taste that came through the gravy and bread sauce, but I have no idea if it was a better taste than previous chicken I have eaten.
    Carcase, skin etc now simmering away into a stock which, with the addition of a few basic vegetables will make a delicious soup. :)

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I try to avoid chicken, as of all domestic meat animals, it gets the worst deal. They're universally over-bred and most of the chicken for sale in this country comes from the same few breeds raised under the same old conditions, so they will taste the same. When I were a dinosaur, broilers were left longer so developed more flavour, but intensive breeding to get the large breasts now favoured, apart from causing all sorts of painful problems for the birds, has led to a uniform bird lacking, I agree, in flavour.

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

No. Thy do not taste the same.
    Today's chickens are bred to grow fast...egg to table in less than 8 weeks.....so no time to mature and develop muscle and flavour. Also they eat a bland diet which adds nothing to flavour. Proper free range (like poulet Bresse from France) scrub around the bushes eating plants and bugs all of which add to the flavour.
    Chicken in UK today tastes mostly like cotton wool.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have no idea how old you are mandala, but I was born in 1953 and remember chicken as being an occasional and special treat. We'd have it when I was a kid, maybe four times a year.

Things changed in my life around 1970 when my friends an I got our first motors, which allowed us to travel into town to try Kentucky Fried Chicken as it was known then and discover it could be enjoyed every day of the week and have herbs and spices added that enhanced the flavour.

Chicken that was once the most brilliant meal you could hope for had gotten brillianter.

Then somewhere between 1970 and now it all changed for the worse. I wouldn't touch KFC with a bargepole these days. Chicken has been transformed over that period from being an expensive option to being the cheapest possible.

It's impossible for a creature that takes only a month from hatching to be in the oven to develop flavour. The skill of the cook is in making it taste of something.

7. mandala1

I've never eaten KFC so couldn't comment. I am slightly younger than you, Duke - but yes, chicken was special sunday lunch. It still isn't an everyday meal here in the mandala household as I won't buy cheap chickens. I don't have time to source floofy chicken - wish I did. I can cook chicken in a combination of lemon/ginger/garlic etc etc but really would rather taste the chicken underneath - else I may as well just eat lemon, ginger and or garlic. Though I suppose it would be cheaper.....

8. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I am gutted! I thought that this was going to be a thread about the heritage breeds, and i could post pictures of my silkies! :eek:

Rhoswen77 and silkywave like this.
  9. mandala1

You still could. Bet they'd go down really well with some bread sauce. :D

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We could post our views on their taste.

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Post them anyway!! :)

Are they the ones that look as though they're wearing silk pyjama bottoms?

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I got a posh expensive one from Waitrose last Christmas (we're not fans of turkey) about 4 x the cost of a normal one, I didn't mention it and asked how the chicken was - "ok". No-one could tell the difference.

As for the past, impossible to say, too often I have rediscovered some food from my younger days, looked forward to it with relish and thought "meh" when I finally tasted it once again.

13. Motherofchikkins

@Dragonlady… They're the ones with hairy feet and their heads look like pompoms :)

They have blue skin, so they don't get eaten here, but apparently there are other parts of the world which consider them a delicacy. Can't seem to load pictures from my computer, but they look like this. [​IMG]

bombaysapphire likes this.
  14. Motherofchikkins

Mine don't seem to look quite as 'polished' as these. But cuter and more personable. :)

15. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

No they don't. Eggs don't taste the same either. There is mostly a chemical taste which never used to be there before. No doubt to do with the chemicals added to their diet.

16. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

Still having their beaks removed to stop them from pecking each other to death due to their horrifically cramped conditions.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Chicken never did taste of much.

Let's have pictures of heritage breeds. Much better.

18. Motherofchikkins

19. Motherofchikkins

Not one of mine (obviously) Mine are all cross breeding little game bantam/rosecombs/silkies.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hm. He'd make someone a lovely hat!