1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chickenpox?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Marshall, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

I start with a rash on my neck on Friday and it has now spread to my face and scalp and my torso. It is very itchy. There have been a couple of cases of chicnpox in school in the last few weeks and my husband told me this morning that a couple of adults where he work have had it. I have never had it - could it be chicken pox?

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Chicken pox usually starts on the tummy, with little blistery type discreet spots. Also - although children often don't feel particularly ill, adults can be very poorly with it - severe headache is quite typical. I believe that doctors will prescribe anti-viral drugs for adults showing early symptoms.

I've never had it either and really don't want to!

3. When my daughter had it the first spots were on the back of her neck and they werent that small. As Mandala says it can be bad in adults but antivirals need to be taken asap so it may be worth ringing out of hours gp? It sounds pretty likely I think.

4. I think you should ring NHS Direct or your out of hours Doctor to check. If it is chicken pox then you are infectious and need to avoid people who haven't had it and are vulnerable.
    I had chicken pox when I was 26 and was so ill that I ended up in hospital because of complications. Mine did start on my torso and spread, as others here have said, but perhaps your atypical.
    Good luck and I really hope it isn't chicken pox and is something easily explained and simple to sort out.

5. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

The trouble is I don't feel ill (and haven't done so) and the spots haven't blistered since they appeared on Friday. Got a really busy week next week with social services meetings and so on.

6. mandala1

It doesn't sound like chicken pox - the spots are blistery and I think people tend to feel ill quite quickly. But you may be a-typical!

7. mandala1

If you are ill, then you are ill. Important meetings or not.

8. It doesn't sound like chickenpox if they aren't individual blistery spots - maybe it could be an allergic reaction to something.
    In contract to other people I had a very easy time with chickenpox which I got when I was 20 - about 5 spots, a bit tired for a couple of days and that was it.