1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chicken

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Marshall, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I always buy free range chicken, usually from the supermarket or the local butcher (which is not great).

I ordered from an online company today - used this one before and I was so pleased to see the difference in the plumpness of the meat and I know the flavour is fab as well as knowing the origins of the meat. I don't know why I am surprised!

It's really not too much more expensive and now I have a freezer full of chicken which I know is ethically raised and will taste better.

Lara mfl 05 and primarycat like this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always buy meat from our local butchers. It is more expensive but we just limit the amount we buy per week and a chicken is such good value as it make at least 4 meals apart from the stock and soup.

primarycat likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I fell out with my local village butcher last year when the young butcher assured me the chicken was home produced and free range - the pack was in front of him and it clearly said 'produce of many countries'. The older butcher stepped in and jointed me a local free range chicken.

I don't trust them since.

primarycat likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I think I upset them because when I pointed this out a couple of other customers questioned them too. Not been back since.

primarycat likes this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It really is worth spending a little extra for a good chicken, if you can afford it. People didn't eat chicken every day a couple of generations ago; it was a treat for Sunday that you then eked out for the rest of the week.

Good chicken tastes better, along with the satisfaction of shopping and eating ethically. Plus the stock is much better from a good bird!

Marshall, Lara mfl 05 and primarycat like this.
  6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

A free range chicken from our butchers definitely tastes better than a supermarket one. A good roast chicken is a thing of beauty.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A good roast chicken is probably my favourite roast. I love beef, lamb, pork, etc., but there is nothing so appetising as the smell of a chicken in the oven. And then the leftovers always seem to have more possibilities than other meats.

Our butcher's free range chickens are beautiful. Big and plump and so flavourful. Not cheap, but chicken shouldn't be. Oooh I'm craving a roast chicken now, and it's only half past eight! :D

primarycat, Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Produce of many countries" cannot possibly apply to one single chicken, so potentially, yes, the chicken itself could easily have been as described by the younger butcher. You state it was a "pack" and therefore the "many countries" will have referred to the source of packaging or possibly string inside, I don't know what else was in there-plastic tray under it? Lemon inside?
    If you choose to buy anything in a "pack" then you are also buying into the provenance, manufacture and distribution process of the component parts, not just the food.

I'm not sure why it would be the butcher that you don't trust, when actually as shoppers we could do well with not trusting anything which is packed. Or at least, researching it. It is this that the younger butcher may not realise, more than not knowing the origin of the actual meat, which I expect he stated correctly.