1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chicken skin hands

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 7, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I have to confess that I've always been somewhat bothered by the fact that chickens seem to suffer from heavily wrinkled or seemingly uncomfortable legs, that my own are making an Olympic effort to emulate and punish me with.
    Then looking at my hands now, I can see they are just as wrinkled as the skin on the chicken legs, and do no justice at all to the brilliantly blue azure eye's I've been able to retain if you look into them with a little kindness.
    But chicken shin hands? What can you do with these other than keep them in your pockets or wear gloves?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I have to confess that I've always been somewhat bothered by the fact that chickens seem to suffer from heavily wrinkled or seemingly uncomfortable legs, that my own are making an Olympic effort to emulate and punish me with.
    Then looking at my hands now, I can see they are just as wrinkled as the skin on the chicken legs, and do no justice at all to the brilliantly blue azure eye's I've been able to retain if you look into them with a little kindness.
    But chicken shin hands? What can you do with these other than keep them in your pockets or wear gloves?

3. Are chickens' legs wrinkly, then? I always thought they were more, like, scaly?

4. Chickens' wattles are very wrinkly though. Maybe that's a better comparison ?

5. I don't think we'll have made Modelmaker feel any better :/

6. I really need to go in a minute, but I just have to tell you this one thing.
    The mega turbo hand dryers in Tesco lavvies are hilarious fun if you are 40+ and the skin on your hands is getting a bit slack.
    Go on! Have a go - and freak yourself out completely! :-D

7. Probably not. I would swap my bingo wings for chicken wattle hands if I could.

8. Does it work on faces too?

9. Do you mean the Dyson things? Had a load of fun with daughter with them with her pot. If you think a post 40 hand looks funny, stick some fingers with a pot in one of them!

10. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Moisturise when indoors and rub on some sunscreen when you go outdoors. If you start sprouting feathers, call the <strike>vet </strike>doctor.

11. The dryers at our sports centre are great fun - yes it works on faces as well[​IMG] You actually don't have to have loose skin - it works the same on children's hands as well.
    About the only thing you can do is exfoliate using body scrub and use a silicone moisturiser - Avon do a good one.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The skin on my hands seems thinner than it was and I use it to demonstrate ageing when I am talking to students, particularly when talking about structural proteins in biochemistry. I show them my hands and pinch a bit and get them to do it too and see the difference. Mine are not particularly wrinkly as I think I have got good skin genes from my mother and grandmother, but they are covered in small scars where I have bashed and cut them over the years doing fettling tasks on cars and motorcycles.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Have you ever considered,mm, that you could be turning into a chicken in some Kafkaesque way?

14. jacob's remark about pinching reminds me - are you properly hydrated inside too?
    pinch a bit of skin - it should flop straight back, so matter how dry it is as skin - if it stays 'pinched' for a short time, you're dehydrated
    and you can put a really thick hand cream - like the neutrogena norwegian one - on and pull cotton gloves on and sleep like that
    if you really mind that much................

(it used to be that hands were always the first thing to age, and a dead give away for a face-lifted actor or actress - but i gather you can have 'hand lifts' now [​IMG] )

15. Collagen breaks down as you get older, that can result in stretchy skin - it can be a feature of hyper-mobility syndromes as well.

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Daft way to check hydration. Its the collagen, and elastin that matter. It gets tired just like old knicker elastic.

17. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Then why don't more of them get that procedure done?
    [​IMG]

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Eeeuw! Skeletor!

19. I'm turning into a chicken crossed with a leopard.......age spots.

20. cluck cluck rhoooooow