1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

chicken masala

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bombaysapphire, May 15, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

2. bnm

bnm

Thank-you, bombay.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That recipe looks awesome Bombay.....I'm going to do this myself. Yummy!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

The best recipe I've used for chicken tikka masala is HFW's one in his Meat book - although it's not specifically tikka masala, it's called butter chicken, but it's pretty much the same thing. In fact it's one of the best curry recipes I've ever used. Totally sublime. It's pretty much the polar opposite of bombay's recipe as it uses obscene quantities of butter and cream but for a treat it's amazing. Apologies for the American quanitities (I found it on an American blog), you'll have to work them out as I've no idea without using a converter - although I believe that a cup = approx 250ml. I also used bone-in, skinned chicken thighs rather than the breasts specified in this blog - about 1.5kg. I never use chicken breasts in curries.
    Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken), from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall&rsquo;s The River Cottage Meat Book<font color="#3a6999">[​IMG]</font>
    1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
    For the Tikka Marinade:
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
    2 tablespoons garam masala
    2 teaspoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons ground mixed spice (some mix of cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, and ground ginger)
    2 teaspoons ground fenugreek
    golf ball-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
    4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 to 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
    2 to 4 green chiles, finely chopped
    For the Tomato Sauce:
    1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes
    small nugget of fresh ginger, grated
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 to 3 small green chiles, finely chopped
    5 cloves
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup water
    For the Makhani Sauce:
    1/2 cup butter
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    2 teaspoons tomato puree
    4 teaspoons honey
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon fenugreek
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Add the chicken or pheasant pieces to the tikka marinade, mix well and leave inthe fridge to marinate overnight.
    , until nicely thickened. Rub the sauce through a sieve and then put on one side.
    the heat to 400?F and cook for 20 to 25 minutes (knock 5 minutes off each phase for boneless chicken).
    , stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the sauce is thick, rich, and creamy.
    Finally,boiled rice and naan bread.

Incredible.

5. BelleDuJour

Me neither.....I always use boned thighs.
    Nick, your recipe is girdle busting but looks positively divine!!!!

6. BelleDuJour

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Please do, Belle - I want to have a go at it too!

8. Well, I have tried bombay's link at the weekend.
    Tastes splendid!

9. BelleDuJour

I made it tonight but it was a bit 'bucket cookery' as I've 10 people coming tomorrow. I marinaded the chicken yesterday morning, then this afternoon pushed all the pieces onto skewers and chargrilled it on the BBQ before adding it to the sauce. I used lots of sliced, not chopped, onions in the sauce and used two cans of low fat coconut milk and one 500g carton of passata.
    I then popped it in the simmering oven of the Aga for 3 hours, and will pop it back in tomorrow for a couple more hours.
    It is yummy and will be even better tomorrow!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

How is Hell High B?