1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chicken livers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon2980, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Defrosted a small (250g) tub of chicken livers overnight, with the aim of trying out a new bolognese sauce recipie. However, husband was not keen on the prospect!
    Need to use them up, so has anyone got any nice supper ideas for one using chicken livers, please? Thanks.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Adore chiken livers, you could make a paté or I love them quickly fried in butter and added to mixed salad leaves with toasted pine nuts and splash or two of balsamic.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Oh yuuuum! I love chicken livers. Try them in risotto, pate, salad... I'm sure there's an old thread on here somewhere...will check and post a link if so.
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/394471/5399599.aspx#5399599
    there you go!
    And I'd sneak them into the ragu- he'll never know but they enrich the sauce wonderfully.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Onion, paprika, dry sherry, tinned tomatoes...

5. Ooooh, you are quick! :) Thank you.
    Already done the ragu, Si. But, I wouldn't dare sneak anything in where Mr manny is concerned - he always knows and he'd be furious!
    He also asked me to make the ragu without red wine, as he's working tonight and was worried about the alcohol content (I know, I know...). I really didn't like it without the wine, but he loved it and he wants it without wine from now on. Bum. :-(

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

OK. Instead of cooking with the wine put the wine in the cook! [​IMG]

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Manny - why aren't you exerting your right as the chief cook to say something on the lines of "you'll eat what you're given and be done with it". Or at least "Look just try it before you claim not to like it"?!!
    Chicken livers are unidentifiable in a ragu - all they do is deepen and enrichen the sauce.

Anyway - I love them fried with bacon and garlic til crisp yet pink and then sunk into a bowl of chicken stock, with cooked peas and fresh mint, and then slurped up messily with excellent bread.
    Or, fry sliced onions and bacon, remove, keep warm and fry livers til crisp yet pink, these also removed and kept warm while pan is deglazed with fino sherry, a drop of water and a small handful of capers and chopped parsley stirred through with a dap of butter to glossen it all up a bit, all served on thick, white, hot toast with the sauce/dressing casually strewn all over.

8. Right oh, now listen up D...
    a ragu needs chicken livers.
    And you ain't gonna lose your licence by eating a ragu with red wine in it.
    Eat up or cook up.
    *does that "that is sorted then" up and down movement with her hands*
    As for chicken livers - food of the gods...
    They are very lovely crispy fried (but still pink in the middle) with some onions and garlic, thyme and/or rosemary, a handful of lardons and then add a wee drop of stock and/or wine and let bubble off until still moist but not too "saucy".
    I like to serve them on top of a mixed green salad (throw some roasted pine nuts over the top).

9. Ah, my lovely cookery chums - thank you. :)
    I had the livers tonight, lightly fried in butter. I then deglazed the pan with the wine I was going to put in yesterday's bol (drinking the rest now, Belle - ha, ha!!) and chucked in a good dollop of wholegrain mustard.
    Poured the glaze over the livers and ate wih crusty bread, yum, yum, yum! :p The dog was going mental when the livers were frying, so she got some tasty morsels in her dish.
    Happy dog, happy me - they were delicious and so easy & cheap. I'm definitely going to have them again and try out some more of your suggestions
    Mr Manny is a delicate flower where food is concerned. His mum used to pass off foods she knew he wouldn't like as other things (e.g. she'd serve pheasant casserole and tell him it was chicken). He hated this and seriously, he'd have a major strop if I sneaked chicken livers into his bol. S'not worth the aggro.
    BTW, bol without wine is a just like very tomatoey savoury mince. Just not right.

10. ah, therein lies the problem.
    Mind, he is like...just out of puberty now and could give it a blinkin try!
    Glad you enjoyed it all for yourselfy though xxx
    (p.s. Question from R & C- does Roxy still like lemon cake?)

11. Ha, ha! I'm working on bringing out his adventurous side (this is the man who would eat mince & tatties for every meal given half a chance).
    The Rox is ever partial to a morsel or two of lemon cake. Just drop it in here:
    [​IMG]

12. I remember that face.
    And that tongue.
    It was about two inches below my knee cap and ready to pounce...
    [​IMG]

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I always use white wine for my ragus. As for alcohol and cooking, surely all the alcohol is cooked out in the cooking process?

14. Also known as 'the hoover'...

15. Yes, that is what I thought too, inky. Mmmm, white wine - will give this a try.

16. My Italian friend is from Piemont and apparently they use white wine. Her ragu tastes great, anyway.
    Personally, I prefer to cook with red wine.
    I do think it is a question of preference though - I think most Italian regions cook their various ragus depending on what wine is predominantly cultivated in their area.
    Some things are just as they should be (in my head, you understand)....cooking a ragu with white wine (to me, although I know it is yummy) would be like cooking sauerkraut in red wine.

17. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Didn't see this thread before but chicken livers are great fried gently in butter with a couple of diced apples and a couple of tablespoons of red wine vinegar/sherry vinegar added towards the end of cooking with a little bit of sage.
    With regards to which wine to put into a ragu...it depends which one you want to drink when you're cooking...