1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

chicken bricks

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cosmos, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Wallowing in 70s nostalgia, following on from a thread about Habitat over on personal, I suddenly remembered chicken bricks. Who else remembers them? Who still uses them? I loved mine but when it broke sometime in the 80s I never replaced it. Is it time for a revival?

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I have one (I think!) - the terracota thing (sorry my English is terrible today) that you roast a chicken in without any fat? My uncle visited England in the 80s and brought it back to Greece with him and then he gave it to me when I moved to England.
    I use it once every couple of months. I should use it more often but I don't always cook a whole bird. I love it - beautifully moist flesh and crispy skin.

3. I've never had a kitchen with enough spare cupboard space for a brick.... but I have always wanted one [​IMG]

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I remember my sister gave us one for Christmas one year. It must have been 30 years ago. Followed the instructions on the box and soaked it before using it but it cracked.

5. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

You can still get them. I think they're around £30-£40. I asked for one for my birthday a couple of years ago. Didn't get it though and have never quite got around to buying one for myself :)

6. What a lot of money! I was hoping they would be around £10 - 15. Shan't bother replacing it.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We only paid £10-15 for ours! Can't remember the exact price, but it was around that. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a tenner. Bought it in a foodware shop in Birmingham City Centre as a Christmas present for Mrs909 in our early courting days! I remember buying it very well, oddly enough.
    We've only used it half a dozen times, but it does make for very succulent chicken. Only downside is that it's on the small side and only does small chickens.

8. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Ah, the ones I saw could do big chickens/small turkeys, maybe that's why they were more.

Or I'm clearly shopping in the wrong places!

9. Do you mean a Römertopf?
    Never heard the term chicken brick before, but here in ze Fatherland, it is quite common to use a Römertopf - but not just for chicken.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It's very similar CQ, but the chicken-bricks I have seen on sale in the UK are more 'shaped' so a chicken fits in snugly. A Roemertopf looks more like....well, a cooking vessel!
    But the principle is the same - cooking in a Terrecotta pot!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ours looks like this, CQ:

[​IMG]

12. Yep, that is what we call a Römertopf.
    Mine looks like this:
    [​IMG]

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

Mine is the same as yours CQ - just not as clean!! [​IMG]

14. Well, neither is mine....