1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chicago

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by AlexanderBrandy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Actually... There is. Tons of it. Short answer is: in order to get a job, you need a school to sponsor you. Unless you get a position in the British school mentioned above, it is very unlikely that you will find a job there. There are less and less jobs in the US due to budget cuts. Those that do come up go almost exclusively to people already living in the US (especially for non shortage subjects such as English).

2. You have to sit the state exam. It is easy and apply to as many schools. You may start as a tutor, but most US schools love English people and would welcome you. Be prepared for a lot of paper work, but go to a local authority and ask for guidance and they will give it. You can also do supply work, although it doesn't pay well. I taught in the USA for 8 years.

3. OreoCookie - I am assuming that this was a while ago?
    Current accounts suggest a vastly different picture with a very tight job scene with massive amounts of US teachers out of work and consequently few to no jobs for foreigners.

4. Thanks all. It is as I feared! I'd better start saving to do an MFA instead! :)

5. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

I used to work in Chicago, in an old department store!
    I used to work in Chicago, but I dont work there any more........

[​IMG]