1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chestnuts

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Mar 18, 2011.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Got a pack of fresh, vac-packed chestnuts that need using up - I'd visions of using them in a root veg stew or with sausages of pork in a casserole of some sort but my wife's informed me she's not keen on chestnuts. I'm sure she'll like them pureed and used in a pud or cake of some sort, so thought I'd appeal to the master bakers and pud experts of the forum for a few idea and/or recipes:
    Maybe a chestnut and chocolate cake?
    Or a terrine of some sort?
    Any advice appreciated.

Ta.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

This is heaven on a plate.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/373422/5191597.aspx#5191597

I would halve the quantities as it is fairly big, also you could cook the cake mix in a swiss roll tin, roll up when cooked and fill with the chestnut cream when cold.

I can post explicit instructions for rolling if you need them.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks ladies!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

What about making some pork stuffing and adding them in? You could use it sliced cold in sandwiches (as I often do) or eat it as a meatloaf. I'm sure that if you cut them up quite finely (not difficult to do with vac packed ones as they crumble so easily) your wife wouldn't notice/mind them as much. I'm sure you wouldn't need a recipe for this but I can post my very popular one that I make at Christmas if you like?

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Thanks, Egyptgirl, all great ideas.
    I'm definitely in a pud/cake frame of mind though, which is rare for me, so I'm going to try to stay on that path and not be deflected!

6. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Added to meringue to make a nutty pavlova? Or chestnut ice cream (could disguise the flavour with some chocolate )
    You've reminded me I've got some chestnuts in the freezer picked last autumn; we have a tree in the gareden.

7. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

<strike>Gareden</strike> GARDEN

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Cheers again.
    I don't think she's got an issue with the flavour - more the texture, which is generally the issue with things she dislikes.
    Or thinks she dislikes.
    She probably likes them really, but, for some reason, thinks she doesn't. This happens a lot.

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

The other way I normally cook chestnuts is to make an incision in the middle of a pork tenderloin and stuff it with chestnuts which have soaked in a mixture of sloe gin and chicken stock before wrapping it in streaky bacon and roasting. Delicious with parsley mash, swwetn and sour baby onions and a sauce which you make by reducing the marinade and adding some cream towards the end.
    And now I'm hungry...

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Yep - saw that, it did lok fantastic! 'Twas this that reminded me we had chestnuts to use. I toyed with the idea of cooking the pork recipe, but just eaing al of the chestnuts myself!
    Think will do the torte as enthusiastically recomended by lapin. Wil have it next week as we've guests for dinner - possibly a little extravagant for just the two of us!
    Thanks for all the replies folks, some great ideas there.

11. Chestnut bread is gorgeous. Normally it is made with chestnut flour, but I have a recipe which uses whole chestnuts which are pureed.
    Very yummy.
    I also adore chestnut soup.
    And I make a chestnut cheesecake every now and then.

12. No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed this and have a great recipe!

A chestnut chocolate truffle cake thing!
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article2900103.ece
    Gordon's version is a goody
    Cook it and leave it sticky for a great dessert then, when you've had enough put it back into a low oven to dry it into a cake - it freezes well when 'caked'.
    I make about 2 of these a year!