1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chester Uni Primary PGCE......waiting.....?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by chesterbeth, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop a note to the forum to see if anyone who has applied for the Primary PGCE at Chester has heard anything?! It's an agonising wait and I know nothing can be done, but I'm hungry for any information at all!

I phoned the Uni this week and was advised the definite rejection letters have gone out, so that's something, but was also told I could still be unsuccessful.....

Help!!

2. Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop a note to the forum to see if anyone who has applied for the Primary PGCE at Chester has heard anything?! It's an agonising wait and I know nothing can be done, but I'm hungry for any information at all!

I phoned the Uni this week and was advised the definite rejection letters have gone out, so that's something, but was also told I could still be unsuccessful.....

Help!!

3. Hi, I had my interview just before you! We chatted in the canteen.
    I haven't heard anything, either... So I haven't definitely been rejected, then - that's good to know. How did you do in the tests/interview? I did well in English and Science (92% and 93%), but not so well in the maths (75%). I told them that I might have been a bit rusty on Rhomboids etc! Hey ho. Hopefully this torment won't be for too much longer. I did read that that the Government are increasing primary trainees for 2011 from 18,640 to 19,730. Keep everything crossed!

4. Hi, and good to hear from you! Was feeling a little lonely with my post so good to get a response at all, let alone from somebody who I actually met and had a good chat with! Interview went well, they were both very friendly and I felt I did myself justice by answering their questions honestly and to the best I could really..... My average on the tests was 85%, with Science being my weakest apparently. Have come to the conclusion that if I don't get on the course at this stage, then I couldn't have done any more and I must just not fit what they are looking for. Not sure about you, but I was shattered when I got in?! Was fairly philosophical about such a wait in the first two weeks after the interview, but have started feeling quite anxious since Gove's announcement. It feels imminent, but could still be a couple of weeks I guess.

I was absolutely encouraged by the increase of overall places too, but still can't find anything concrete about the Primary bursary. Gove doesn't refer to it in his letter, which means it looks almost certain to have been pulled, but I don't want to believe it! Hopefully we'll hear soon, keep in touch!

5. I've worked out that the increase in Primary places means about 1.3 extra places at Chester next year!
    I feel the same way about the interview. I think by the stage you sit down for the interview they have a good idea as to whether your face fits. I got home and crashed out through utter exhaustion afterwards! I was fairly relaxed after the first week, but now the nerves are building as I feel a decision must be imminent.

I'm really not sure about the Primary bursary, but it looks like it isn't there. It seems a bit unfair to announce such sudden cuts for people hoping to start their PGCE's in 2011. I wonder if it will put some people off doing the course. Will they increase the loan amount to cover the shortfall? I shall worry more about this if I get an offer!

6. Gove may have in ceased Primary ITT places but he also wants more school based training, this could still have an impact on the amount of PGCE places allocated in the Universities as an increase in GTP places may reduce them.

7. Hi! I had my interview back on 17th November and can't wait to actually hear something! I read that the specific numbers of places were sent out to Unis at midnight last night so hopefully should hear soon!

8. Yes, having re-read Gove's letter to the TDA, it looks as though you have a point...

9. Chester has such a low amount of PGCE and GTP places though, I don't know if they'd change them. With a university such as Edge Hill or Liverpool Hope, who have more PGCE places to play with I think they'd rather change in places with more places. If you get me.........lol.

10. http://jsavage.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Annex-A-ITT-allocations-2011-12.pdf

Just found this on another thread. List of all the places for each Uni.

11. http://www.tda.gov.uk/training-provider/itt/funding-allocations/~/media/resources/training-provider/funding-allocations/mainstream_itt_allocations_2008-11.pdf

These are the number of places they had for the past few years too. Looks like they've shot up for Primary! Were 84, now 102! Of course that is Undergrad and Postgrad but hopefully they'll be distributed well enough :)

12. I just got a conditional offer via GTTR! I think they must've sorted them today! I'm beyond happy!

13. Me too! Got a 5pm email from GTTR.....my heart stopped for a minute I'm sure! Was really shaky afterwards because I am literally thrilled!! Off to tell people now!

14. L2T

L2T

I phoned Chester Uni today and the lady in admissions said they haven't sent any formal offers out yet? They are still working with the number of places and offers will be sent out within 2 weeks. She said keep checking gttr website.
    I suppose it's just a waiting game now - arrgghhhh!

15. Hey there, got my letter yesterday, with the only condition being 5 days primary experience....have you had yours and what did it say?

Thanks!
    Beth

16. I had mine yesterday too. I'm in my third year of my degree so my condition is a 2.1 and also the regular CRB and fitness to teach. I didn't think we'd have to actually go in to do the fitness to teach though, I thought it would just be a questionnaire which we sent back :S Ah well, I'm pretty local so no real hassle.

17. Thanks so much for your reply, that's cool. As I've been working for a few years I'm guessing they just wanted some additional experience from me as it's been difficult to work it around my career! Like you though, didn't expect to have to go in....hopefully won't mean a full day! I'm also local so no real problem, but for me it'll be time off!

Beth

18. I think they'll probably just make sure no one is fibbing on their forms and just check we fill it in right. I can't see us doing an agility course or anything! That would just be silly!

19. hey! just thought i would add to this, they did another interview last week as they were given a few extra places from the tda and ive had a conditional offer =) looking forward to meeting everyone!!