1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chemistry Trips

Discussion in 'Science' started by sheepie55, Feb 11, 2012.

1. sheepie55

sheepie55 New commenter

My A level class are bugging me to organise a trip. Any ideas?

2. sheepie55

sheepie55 New commenter

My A level class are bugging me to organise a trip. Any ideas?

3. Depending on where you are, there are many things for example London Science Museum, a distillery, the local University Chemistry Department to see NMR, Mass Spectrometry and other analytical services in action to name but a few!
    Any petrochemical plants near you? Always a good one!

4. Also any pharmaceutical company near you would be happy to host A level pupils for a session...
    Your STEM contact for the area might be able to suggest more local ideas.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Google "chemistry outreach name-of-nearest-big-town"
    I did this for my biology group recently and came up trumps big time (helps that our nearest big town is Cambridge)

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What did you find Mangle?

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The John Gurdon Institute.
    We went for a three hour visit last week, me and 13 yr12 A-level students.
    They laid on the most impressive afternoon for us. There are 300 people work there including 2 "Sirs" and 5 FRS's - oh and the bloke next door got a Nobel prize acouple of years ago.
    A bit like going to Wembley and having an hour and a half with David Beckham or Pele (amongst other things) - except what these people do actually matters and makes a difference, world class science at the cutting edge of stem cell research.

8. sheepie55

sheepie55 New commenter

Thank you, that is really helpful. I have emailed a couple of local universities about the Chemistry outreach programs.