1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chemistry Trips in the South East

Discussion in 'Science' started by CharChar89, Jun 7, 2019.

1. CharChar89

CharChar89 New commenter

Hello!

We are being encouraged to run some science trips this year to encourage greater uptake of A-Level. Problem is I am struggling to think of some Chemistry based trips! We are thinking that KS4 is the best age group to take. Does anyone have any ideas?

:confused:

2. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Depends where you live and which chemical industry giants still do open days / educational visits. I went to Hull BP Saltend to see acetic acid / other products being made. Worked at ICI fibres Harrogate and learned about dyeing. Applied for a job in London for Glaxo and learned about paint technology/ chemistry at Humbrol. Maybe Port Sunlight /Unilever, Reckitts, Smith&Nephew, Shell, University /college chemistry departments or an analytical company.
    I tend to believe London science museum has lost its way, pandering to new fads with grandiose (expensive) displays. Faraday museum and lecture theatre is more educational.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Small groups might be able to visit pharmaceutical labs or perhaps a brewery. Trouble is, most of the stuff happens in large stainless steel vessels with little to see. Pharmaceutical places can be good when you're doing spectroscopy.
    Water board analytical places can be good, but Anglian Water education department have refused to reply to my emails this year.