1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chemistry PGCE with Meidcal Sciences Degree

Discussion in 'Science' started by pumpkin_head, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I am a 4th year medical student with a degree in Medical Sciences (2:1). And after the first year of clinical traning I have decided that medicine is not for me, but along the way I picked up the medical sciences degree. My passion at school was Chemistry, and my dream job would be to be a chemistry teacher. Would it be possible for me to get onto a PGCE course for Chemistry with a medical sciences degree? There were chemistry modules in my degree but the large chunk of it was Human Biology. In my favour I won prizes for my attainment in Chemistry at school. It would be easier for me to get onto a Biology course for sure, however, I would much rather be a Chemistry teacher and my research has shown me that Biology teachers are available in abundance so job propspects would be no where near as good. All thoughts welcome.

2. Hey guys, I am a 4th year medical student with a degree in Medical Sciences (2:1). And after the first year of clinical traning I have decided that medicine is not for me, but along the way I picked up the medical sciences degree. My passion at school was Chemistry, and my dream job would be to be a chemistry teacher. Would it be possible for me to get onto a PGCE course for Chemistry with a medical sciences degree? There were chemistry modules in my degree but the large chunk of it was Human Biology. In my favour I won prizes for my attainment in Chemistry at school. It would be easier for me to get onto a Biology course for sure, however, I would much rather be a Chemistry teacher and my research has shown me that Biology teachers are available in abundance so job propspects would be no where near as good. All thoughts welcome.

3. chemroger

chemroger New commenter

Most PGCE courses want to know about the amount of chemistry in your degree. I know of somebody who has a microbiology degree and teaches chemistry (but I have to say struggles to teach A level well). So it is possible; you just have to emphasis the amount of chemistry content in your studies. Also in your favour is (I assume) very good A level grades if you got onto a Medicine degree. I also doubt having seen what I have seen that the admissions tutors actually check if what you say about your degree has any veracity (read between the lines).
    I did Medical Research for many years before teaching and have enjoyed the change to teaching. Also in the environment I teach I would welcome somebody with your background.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

4. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

Look out for subject knowledge enhancement courses (SKE)
    I have just finished a chemistry one (did a biology degree) and start my Chemistry PGCE in September. Would definitely recommend.

5. There are chemistry enhancement courses that would be just the thing for you. Teacher training providers have just been given their allocations for next year. Where you go would depend on which part of the country you are in. There are also different types and there are three month, six month, nine month and one year courses. Which is best for you depends on your prior chemistry qualifications/modules.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/subject-information-enhancement/age-groups/teaching-secondary/boost-subject-knowledge/ske-courses.aspx
    James