1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chemist teaching physics

Discussion in 'Science' started by PotionsMistress, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hello! A physics job has just come up at the school where I am completing my 2nd PGCE placement. My subject is chemistry but I am really keen to apply as I have loved my time here and the head of department has suggested that she wants me and the biology trainee to apply which is encouraging.
    Basically I am wondering how could I convince you that I would make a good physics teacher despite not having A level physics (I did Chemistry, Maths & French, and AS Further Maths).
    Thank you!

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Do you have sufficient knowledge and understanding to teach physics to the highest level they do in your school?
    If so, start enthusing - and reading up on the parts of the subject where you might need extra depth.
    Best wishes,
    P

3. I would rather appoint someone who I knew was a good teacher (because, with their help, I could improve the subject knowledge).
    However, be prepared for rejection at interview AND then have to complete your placement.
    Good luck