1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Chemical Table of Elephants

Discussion in 'Science' started by Mrs Peel, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I put this on the Opinion form in the "Elephant in the room thread" but no-one seemed to want to play! Come on scientists - have a bit of fun - I'm sure you can do better than me!!
    PS: I make no claim as to the correctness of anything I have writ!

And then, of course, there's the Chemical Table of Elephants:
    The Helium Elephant - need to tie a bit of string to it's leg to stop it flying off
    The Hydrogen Elephant - no matter where you look in the Universe - it's there!
    The Gold Elephant - shiny, gaudy and very heavy
    The Lead Elephant - not so shiny, even heavier - reinforce those floorboards
    The Oxygen Elephant - vital - without this one we're all done for
    The Sulphur Elephant - very smelly, very yellow, very crumbly
    WARNING: Beware of Elephants in combination - especially if it's 2Hydrogen, 4 Oxygen and a Sulphur Elephant - will eat through everything and everyone !!

Chemists - do feel free to complete the Table of Elephants !

2. alessio

alessio Administrator

I can think of the Carbon Elephant, who leaves a large footprint when combined with two Oxygen Elephants ;-)

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

There is the Uranium elephant that emits a lot of heat and changes into two smaller elephants.
    There are the Noble elephants who refuse to join a herd.

4. susiejay

susiejay Administrator

The Mercury Elephants run all over the place..

5. All the Noble Elephants don't join in as they are in their ivory towers.

6. The argon elephant just floats about the place not doing much, not thinking much, not effecting and generally being rather inert
    just filling space really!

7. And there's the one that hangs about in abright yellow skin waiting to cure hangovers
    the potassium elephant