1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Cheesecake ideas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Chocolate and Cherry
    Chocolate and Fudge
    Vanilla
    Coffee
    Coffee and Walnut
    Lemon and Raspberry
    Toffee and Banana
    Apple and Cinnamon
    Blackberry

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Toffee
    White chocolate and raspberry
    Manuka honey
    Banoffee
    Mango
    Mint chocolate
    Chocolate orange
    My personal favourite - raspberry and passionfruit

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Mmmm.

Liking chocolate and cherry, and apple and cinnamon ... mmmm!

Ta!

4. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

New York - I like mine with coulis, OH prefers unadulterated

Just chocolate (but baked)

Tia Maria

Chocolate & Baileys

Chocolate & Dooleys (toffee vodka stuff)

Caramel

Blueberry and lemon

Ginger (made with gingernuts)

Frozen banana and peanut butter (sound yuk, but is lovely - recipe is on bbcgoodfood I think)

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Banoffee
    Meringue and strawberry
    Clementine

6. lilachardy

Do you think I could invent a tiramisu flavour cheesecake?

7. A favourite cheesecake in our house is white chocolate and blueberry. It's a Gary Rhodes recipe from BBC Good Food mag from 2007, I think.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

My signature cheesecake is a baked amaretto one. I hate boozy desserts and am not that fond of cheesecake either, but love this one.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Salted peanut and chocolate!

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Salted caramel!

11. I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed the recipe for the amaretto cheesecake please.
    Even if I never eat cheesecake again, I still need that one in my repertoire!

12. lilachardy

Right. I'm decided on a kind of blend of cherry cheesecake and mississippi mud pie!
    I'll let you know how much I love it.... I could do with a piping bag to add extra cream on the top!

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me toooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Si N. Tiffick

<u>Amaretto Cheesecake</u>
    For the base:
    220g/ 8oz double chocolate chip cookies
    50g ground almonds
    2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
    2 fl oz amaretto (sorry for mixing measures)

For the filling:
    2 supermarket tubs ricotta (think they are about 250g each)
    300g tub soft cheese eg Philly (have used low fat in past but think full fat better- prob because of water content)
    2.5 oz amaretto
    140g/ 5oz sugar or honey
    1/4 tsp salt
    grated zest of an orange
    4 eggs

Method:
    Preheat oven to 170C/ 325F/ Gas 3
    Combine base ingredients- mix well. Press into a 9 or 10 inch springform cake tin, pressing down well. I find it easier to put the base in upside down- it's easier to get the cake out again that way!
    Combine filling ingredients in the biggest bowl you own. Beat for at least 3 mins witha n electric mixer on high, scraping the bowl often. You'll want a tea towel handy to catch splashes.
    Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hr. Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for another 30 mins.
    Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Cover tightly with cling film, sit the cake tin on a plate and chill for at least 4 hrs before serving. NB this tastes better if left to ripen overnight in the fridge, though the base may leak a little liquer.
    I decorate the finished cake by drizzling melted Maya Gold over the top i.e. waggling a chocolate dipped spoon vigorously over the top. This picks up the chocolate from the base and the orange in the filling nicely and makes it look less blah.
    Do let me know if you try this one- it's a real crowd pleaser!

15. Oh dear lord, I've put 5lbs on just looking at that Si! Gorgeous.
    Could I use amaretti biscuits instead of choc chip for the base? Theoretically of course [​IMG]

16. Si N. Tiffick

Cosmos, I never said it was a saintly cake! Actually the original recipe calls for low fat cream cheese and says you can delete the egg yolks for calorie saving. I've just always thought that if I'm going to have cheesecake, it's going to be calorific. It's very rich, and so you won't eat a whopping great chunk of it. A little of what you like, and all that!
    I tried amaretti biscuits but I thought the result was overwhelmingly almondy and the base didn't really have the right texture. I think it needs something non-almondy to offset all that amaretto ad the ground almonds. Try it out and see what you think.
    Do let me know if you try it out.

17. Toffee Cheesecake with a little bit of single cream [​IMG]
    Chocolate and Strawberry is nice too [​IMG]

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Call me a prude, but I love a simple baked New York cheesecake - flavoured with nothing but maybe citrus zest - but not too citrussy.

Which makes me wonder:
    Baked or unbaked? What do most people prefer?

I can see the point in the unbaked variety of cheesecake - they can be delicious - but I must say, I vastly prefer the baked variety...

19. Both.