1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese

Discussion in 'Personal' started by A_Million_Posts, Feb 10, 2019.

1. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

A great shame, I'm glad you've mentioned it A_Million_Posts, it would have been a great shame to miss out this cheese from the list.

Ah, the name... Gather around children and I'll tell you a story. This cheese has a fabulous medieval name, reminiscent of noble English knights and their smelly feet trashing their way round France in the Middle Ages. Once upon a time, circa 1340, the perfidious English decided to invade France to plunder all the French cheese recipes and...

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Isn't there some sort of French cheesey pie you can get?

3. colpee

colpee Star commenter

4. fraisier

There are various classic recipes for cheese tarts/pies-tartes au fromage eg this one with Comté and with Comté or Gruyère or this one with Roquefort, Emmental and goat's cheese, but proper cheesy pies, not sure.

Tartiflette is a very popular dish but it's a tart not a pie (with Reblochon cheese - the American lady in the clip below makes it with Camembert and Gruyère probably because Reblochon must be hard to get in the US):

Another French favourite in that category is tarte flambée/flammkuchen but cheese is optional really (but Munster with it is lovely), it depends on the areas of origin (Eastern France/Alsace as you can guess by the name, Germanic influence).

5. fraisier

OK, I understand why the American woman doesn't use Reblochon for her Tartiflette: it's banned in the US.
    (Wikipedia) U.S. unavailability: Reblochon is not available in the United States, as it is unpasteurised and has not been sufficiently aged to pass U.S. import laws. Raw-milk Reblochon has not been available in the United States since 2004 due to the enforcement of laws concerning the pasteurization of soft and semi-soft cheese. Delice du Jura, a pasteurized soft ripened cheese, is being marketed as a close relative and a good substitute in the United States.

It's a shame for them as it's a lovely cheese (photo below), another one with a funny name (Reblochon derives from the word "reblocher" which when literally translated means "to pinch a cow's udder again").

[​IMG]

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That's the one!

Sorry @fraisier I was being a little too obtuse.

7. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I'd thought French cheese were named after places. This has been an education.

8. fraisier

And me very slow on the uptake!

9. fraisier

Most are named after places but if you take the 50 or 60 odd most famous French cheeses (almost all of them with AOC-certification) about 15 of them are not named after a place.

Among those which aren’t, most are named after the method used to make them or something related to the method/origin (such as the animal from which the milk comes), like the Reblochon in my previous post (from the verb “Reblocher”, literally "to pinch a cow's udder again" but in practice meaning "to milk a cow twice"). Or the Faisselle (Wikipedia: “the name comes from the mould in which the cheese is strained”), or the Cancoillotte (“the name dates from the 19th century, from "coille" derived from cailler - to curdle -,referring to milk left after cream extraction, resulting in a lower fat content"), or the Cabécou (“The name comes from the Occitan word cabra/craba = goat") or the Corsican Brocciu (“The word brocciu is related to the French word "brousse" and means fresh cheese made with goat or ewe's milk”).

Some names were just created for marketing reasons, such as “Trou du Cru” (a pun on “trou du cul”, arssehole - but "cru" also means "from the area" so it's not gratuitously rude-ish, it makes sense beyond its tongue-in-cheek name).

The famous Brillat-Savarin cheese is named after all-round bon vivant and food writer Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. Brillat-Savarin also has a cake named after him! (the Savarin).

A_Million_Posts likes this.