1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese

Discussion in 'Personal' started by A_Million_Posts, Feb 10, 2019.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I feel your pain.

3. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Found a heavenly smoked Wensleydale at a cheese shop in Harrogate last summer. Love Stilton and halloumi.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@Ivartheboneless, "a nice double Gloucester is yummy too (what does the double bit refer to?)" It refers to the slight difference in the milk used traditionally- Double G has full cream milk from morning and evening milkings, Single G has full cream morning milk and skimmed evening milk. You can get Single Gloucester too, but it is not easy to find. And it tastes much the same, but is a bit lower in fat. I believe Single G may also be made in slightly thinner truckles... (Lovely word...)

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You can't trust the French to be honest about French food.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A lad who worked for me was brought up on a smallholding, which his parents ran mostly as a hobby. Their mission was to preserve rare breeds, so all the animals they reared were distinctive.

As hobbies go, it's quite an expensive one, as well as being hard work, but they more or less managed to be self-sufficient. His mother used the goats milk to make cheese with, which when the word got round the village she was doing this, the villagers asked if they could buy some and even the village shop wanted to flog it.

One day out of the blue, she had a visit from some oik in a suit from the Ministry of Agriculture who said he wanted to inspect how the cheese was being produced, then told her she must stop flogging it because the "farm" hadn't been made entirely out of stainless steel, as prescribed by an EU legislation, so they stopped selling cheese.

This happened around the time that Keith Floyd was doing a tour of Italy and covered in one of the episodes, how a local cheesemaker went about the business of making what Floyd described as the most marvelous Italian cheeses he'd tasted. We saw how the artisan would drive his three-wheeled buggy thing around the local farms, where churns of milk would be left by the gate. The artisan would scoop some of the milk out with his hand to test the milk for its creaminess, then if satisfied, load the churn onto his trailer.

No inspectors to be seen.

What might we learn from this? I've often heard comments that only the British and Germans ever took EU legislation to the letter of the law, but I think that's complete bunkum. The legislation was introduced to protect citizens who buy goods produced in bulk, where the potential of killing thousands of people if things go wrong exists.

It's unlikely that even if my worker's mother had evil intent, she couldn't have killed more than a handful of people. As it happens, she didn't kill any and I'm left wondering how their smallholding would ever have come under the radar of the Ministry for Agriculture, unless a complaint had been made, but by whom?

I suspect it will have been some jerk with a grudge.

7. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

You can't trust the French to be honest - full stop. We are very very very untrustworthy people :p

jomaimai likes this.
  8. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

TL;DR
    I draw your attention to the second definition,
    Yours in hope,
    AMP.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Might you find Twitter less taxing?

10. A_Million_Posts

Endlessly.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Danish Blue: at least a month past best before date so it is nice and mouldy. Eaten with cheddars type crackers. My 2 dogs are also quite partial to it as well. Have to keep it sealed in air tight box though, in second fridge in the garage. If I want a bit of peace and quiet at dinner table and get rid of the kids, well its 'Dads eating his smelly cheese again'. The just like magic, peace and quiet.

12. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Has no one mentioned cheestrings?

13. A_Million_Posts

It's a thread about cheese.
    :cool::p:D

mothorchid and primarycat like this.
  14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That's fair.

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The made in Britain programme tonight was all about Wendsleydale cheese making. The best bit was at the end where Steff got cheese and fruitcake and obviously enjoyed it, with a cup of tea. Us crazies oop north, eh? What are we like? I had some earlier.

16. Mangleworzle

Good point. The joys of reduced soft cheeses near their sell by date is that they are just starting to become edible and are extra cheap as well. I've discovered lots of new cheeses by that route.

17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

The fruit cake and Wensleydale combination is well known. Has anyone else had Lincolnshire plum bread with cheddar? That's yummy too.

18. Mangleworzle

I used to enjoy a beansprout and cheddar sandwich. Not the pale, giant Chinese style sprouts but the smaller sprouting mixed bags you can get or mung beans sprouted at home. Adds a nice crunch and subtle flavour that really sets the cheese off.

Haven't had one for ages, more of a summer thing though.

19. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

This.

And I love making halloumi too.

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  20. A_Million_Posts

It's a shame nobody has mentioned Pie d'Angloys; a great cheese and the name is really entertaining too.

BertieBassett2 and fraisier like this.