1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese

Discussion in 'Personal' started by A_Million_Posts, Feb 10, 2019.

1. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I love almost all cheses. I don't like smoked chees, but then I don't like smoked fish either.
    Proper Sweiss cheese - Gruyere, Emmenthal, Appenzeller, Sbrinz, Berg-Kase, all of these are wonderful, but rarely available here, because the Swiss only export the rubbish stuff.
    If I have to choose only one chese (Really? Why? How?) I think a really good quality Red Leicester. You can cook with it, eat it on crackers or have it with apples.
    And I make my own chutney. There is a green bean one which is good, or a caramelised onion one.
    In my year-long attempt to lose weight (nearly three stone so far, thanks) cheese has been a no-no much o the time. I miss it. Parmesan has half the calories of even low-fat cheddar, so you can have more of it...

2. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

I think we need a chutney thread.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Too many to name, really, but a special place in my tum for Pié d'Angloys, Suffolk Blue (until recently impossible to buy beyond Suffolk), Kaltbach Alpine, and a good unpasteurised cheddar, such as Lincolnshire Poacher. I used to like Shropshire Blue but find it too salty nowadays.

A good choice. I think Belton's Vintage Red Fox from Waitrose is one of the best Red Leicesters.

lilachardy and mothorchid like this.
  4. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

BBC News have picked up my thread and are now discussing that cheddar is the most popular cheese in the UK.

5. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

Yes!! Let's make one!!

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

No one has mentioned Pie D'Angloys (may be spelt incorrectly) - you can buy it at Tesco and it's kind of like Camembert. (It's only a little smelly)
    [​IMG]

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

:(:(:(:mad::(:(:(

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cambozola... Brie with blue in it.

Love that stuff....

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wish someone would mention Pie D'Angloys.

:p

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Cheddar is only popular due to excessive marketing, but some is excellent. I have been buying a Welsh one lately which is good. Personally I like Northern cheeses; Lancashire and Wendsleydale specifically. Cheshire can be good, but the good stuff is difficult to get hold of, but a nice double Gloucester is yummy too (what does the double bit refer to?). A fresh crumbly Caerphilly is delicious, but again difficult to get hold of. Some of the stuff you get plastic shrink wrapped in supermarkets would be shunned by any discerning rodent. If you are lucky enough to have a Booths store nearby, they have a good selection. Some markets have a good cheese stall, but it depends. Chester indoor market cheese man is always good, with a good selection, tasty tryouts and usually has Caerphilly. (Damn I'll have to go into Chester this week now, and get more fruit cake to have it with.) I don't like "mouldy" cheeses except Brie, and sometimes a whiffy Camembert.

Northern decadence: cup of tea, big lump of fruit cake (iced or not) and big chunk of proper cheese. By 'eck chuck, its reet gradely!

11. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

There's a Welsh cheddar (called "opposite of white + plane that drops explosives") which is the epitome of everything the perfect Cheddar should be. Heaven.

12. BertieBassett2

Oops - I was getting word blind with all the different cheese names!

florian gassmann likes this.
  13. BertieBassett2

Thanks, Lan!

14. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

Dorset Blue Vinney, anyone?

florian gassmann likes this.
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

By way of information, the UK makes over 700 different kinds of cheese which is more than either France or Italy. Cheese making in Britain could well be at an all time high. It partly stems from about 15 years ago when small dairy farmers started to feel the squeeze and many came to the brink of calling it a day and packing up. Instead, quite a lot of them decided to stop selling so much milk as milk and start making their already superior product into cheese, which for many of them worked splendidly.

It's a product where it is easy to buy any number of superior quality versions made in Britain rather than mass produced edible yellow plastic on some industrial unit in the low countries.

16. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

A poached egg? Whatever you do, do not go to Italy asking them about their funny cheese with an egg inside! :D Nah, it’s a traditional Mozzarella cheese with cream inside:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burrata

Burrata is a fresh Italian cow milk cheese (occasionally buffalo milk) made from mozzarella and cream.[1] The outer shell is solid mozzarella, while the inside contains stracciatella and cream, giving it an unusual, soft texture. It is typical of Apulia. It is also defined by some sources as an outer shell of mozzarella filled with butter or a mixture of butter and sugar. This agrees with original meaning of the word burrata, literally "buttered" in Italian.

17. fraisier

Figures vary and it depends what you class as cheese but it is generally reckoned by professionals in the trade in France that the country produces between 1,000 and 1,800 different cheeses, of which only 45 have AOC status, Appellation d'Origine Controlée (Protected Designation of Origin), which means inter alia that they can only be made in a particular area. It has to be a worldwide protection too, not just EU or Europe. Feta for instance gained AOC-protected status in 2005… but only in the EU, so it’s widely imitated elsewhere and sold under the same name of Feta, in North America for instance.

17 British cheeses are AOC-protected. Roquefort was the first French cheese to gain the AOC label, in 1925; the latest two are the Raclette de Savoie and the great Burgundy cheese, both in 2017. The AOC status is onerous and costly to get, hence the small number of fully protected cheeses (there are various degrees of protection I believe). It also requires governments to fight their corner at Brussels to get the coveted EU-wide AOC.

1200 varieties of cheese and seven families. There is a wide variety of cheeses.
    http://www.fromages-france.com/en/french-cheeses/

https://www.produits-laitiers.com/article/le-chiffre-du-mois-1200
    1200, c’est le nombre de variétés de fromages français répertoriées par le Centre National Interprofessionnel de l’Economie Laitière.
    1800. Le Guide 2015 des fromages au lait cru publié par le magazine Profession fromager répertorie quant à lui pas moins de 1800 produits classés par région et par grande famille technologique, et encore, la liste ne prétend pas à l’exhaustivité. De plus, le guide ne prend pas en compte les fromages au lait pasteurisé ou thermisé.

18. fraisier

I’ve heard of Pié D’Angloys but have never tasted it (it was only created centuries ago, then disappeared and was only revived in the early 1990s).

I love the name! “Englishman’s foot” (pié = foot in Old French and Angloys = English in OF). No doubt a tribute from the French to the fragrant feet of English men! :p

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think it a great shame that Lymeswold stopped being made! Loved it!

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yup.