1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese

Discussion in 'Personal' started by A_Million_Posts, Feb 10, 2019.

1. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

This is my favourite thread because I'm a big cheese lover. Having said that I am quite picky with my cheeses.

I'm not keen on Camembert cheese or Camembert de Normandy...it just tastes too sickly and smells funny. I dont like cambazola. Those round cheeses that look about 500 years old put me right off

I dont like Brie or Stilton...anything that has blue or green running through it. :eek:

Cheeses are like have mild flavours and textures such as Mature Cheddar, Farmhouse, so cheese like Cathedral City or Pilgims Choice. Also garlic herby cheeses like Roule I can eat aplenty.

Edam and Gouda I like too

fraisier likes this.
  2. serenitypolly41

I need to check out Devon Oke, Gruyere and Jarlsberg. What cheese type are?

Like I've said too I hate blue/green stinky cheese. Anything with fruit buts in it too. I have a cheese margin

primarycat likes this.
  3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

It is!

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Gruyere, Compte and Emmental cheese are also at the top of my list.

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

None of them are strong but gruyere and jarlsberg have a nutty quality that I like. Devon Oke is a hard cheese that is firm and tasty but not overpowering.

serenitypolly4 likes this.
  6. serenitypolly41

Blimey!! What a cheesetastic life you lead!! :D

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

needabreak and primarycat like this.
  8. primarycat

Eewww ewww and quadruple eewww. And no escalation with that casu marzu nonsense.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

A good farmhouse Cheshire, Appleby or similar, Gourgeous.

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  10. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Yesssssssssssssssss - Boursin is the King.

serenitypolly4 and needabreak like this.
  11. primarycat

Yes very true. I like the pepper version too.

12. susanrk

susanrk Occasional commenter

I think it's Wensleydale that has apricots or cranberries in it sometimes. I like those or Edam best.

13. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

OK but the proper one then, made in Italy (and not in Denmark by Arla), because the pale imitations found in supermarkets are very bland. It has to be the very tasty Mozzarella di Bufala (Campana):

[​IMG]

or its little sister, the creamy Burrata:

[​IMG]

primarycat likes this.
  14. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

All of them... Well except blue Stilton.

Fancy a nice baked camembert with rosemary and garlic having seen this thread... Yummy...

Had roquefort in cauliflower soup for lunch it was delicious

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Oh gawd, I love burrata. And that lovely caramel flavour in sheep's cheese. Or baked camembert. The other week I grated some fag endy bits of cheese, mixed them with a little garlic and cornflour and melted it all slowly in the oven. It was fab.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Could somebody SHUT THAT BLOODY BOUZOUKI UP!

Right. For me it has to be Rocquefort. We visited one of the Rocquefort factories in France last spring. Fascinating place inside limestone caverns, where the flow of cool air through natural fissures in the rock was skilfully manipulated to ensure the perfect conditions for fermentation and maturation. Only trouble is, not a single sodding cheese anywhere to be seen - rows and rows of empty shelves. Needless to say there was plenty of cheese on display in the gift shop but you would have thought that a cheese factory listed as a visitor attraction might actually have some cheese in it. Shades of Monty Python.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I forgot about Cornish Yarg. I loikes that one.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I can't support Boursin, I'm afraid, as it is a branded product rather than a traditional cheese.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

A strong, mature cheddar or wedge of Stilton are my personal cheesy preferences.

This thread just made me think of this though. :D

20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

If you're ever in the Dales a visit to the Cheese factory in Hawes is worth doing especially at the end where you walk through the sampling section.

serenitypolly4 likes this.