1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese

Discussion in 'Personal' started by A_Million_Posts, Feb 10, 2019.

1. A_Million_Posts

A_Million_Posts Star commenter

Someone on another thread mentioned Flower Marie cheese which I had never heard of. What's your favourite cheese and how do you eat it?

[​IMG]

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I only eat Cheddar - I have cheese on toast every morning for breakfast.

I know that sounds like something from Monty Python but it happens to be true.

3. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

Roquefort, Torta di Dolcelatte, goat's cheese, Wensleydale Blue - with any decent bread and oddles of wine.

needabreak likes this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Do you vary the cheddar or is it always the same one?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I love the soft white rinded cheeses - brie, camembert, lots of types of goat's cheese, cambozola.....

needabreak and nomad like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Cheers, Milly, you just reminded me that I have pizza in the fridge.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There are so many cheeses I like that it is difficult to identify a favourite.

However, smoked cheese, Norwegian Brunost, Stilton would too the list.

needabreak and sparklepig2002 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No- actually I like several kinds of cheddar but we're not allowed to advertise on here.

My taste in Chedder is very discerning.

Usually it's the one on offer at Tesco's

There is one, however that is so awful that I would never consider buying it.

...Cathedral S****Y - it's just horrid - has no taste and an awful texture.

towncryer and sparklepig2002 like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I must confess I've never smoked Cheese.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Goats cheese, Brie, Lancashire, a strong cheddar, with crackers and chutney.
    Christmas cake with cheddar, Wensleydale or Lancashire too.

11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

My favourite is mozzarella

:)

12. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Just reading this made me go and get a chunk of cheddar!

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I like most cheese. I am particulalty fond of Geitost. I first came across it when Youth Hostelling round Norway as a student.

Gjeitost cheese, also spelled as ‘Geitost’ and pronounced as ‘Yay-Toast’, is a farmhouse and creamery, semi-hard cheese. It is so popular in Norays that it is also called as Norway’s national cheese!

During old times, Gjeitost or Geitost used to be entirely of goat milk but now-a-days it is made with a blend of goat’s and cow’s milk. During its making process, liquid whey is used instead of the curd. It is available in various versions and the classification depends on different proportions of cow and goat milk.

Dark brown or honey-brown or golden orange in colour, the cheese is non-perishable, dessert cheese sold in blocks. It has sweet and caramel-like taste and comes with an unusual, aromatic quality. Kids in Norway eat it as a breakfast as well. It is sliced paper-thin and placed on Norwegian flat bread. Its swee caramel flavour is simply irresistible!
    upload_2019-2-10_21-5-32.png

agathamorse, bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

18 month Davidstow is on offer at the moment. Worth it.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I had some once. I thought it was vile! But otherwise I like all nice quality cheeses, but not the ones with stuff mixed in. We have cheese every Friday. I'm always happy to try something new.

16. May2

May2 Established commenter

I love Comte a French cheese with a subtle flavour also Brie de Mesux.

fraisier and A_Million_Posts like this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Om om dribble slather om nom cheeeeeese.
    If no other foodthing were left to me, I'd choose, despite having a degree in Food and Nutrition, I'd save cheeeeese.

towncryer likes this.
  18. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

I like Brie de Meaux but only if it's suitably runny

[​IMG]

This is the minimum acceptable in terms of runniness (?).

And it has to smell awful too, bien sûr.

colpee, May2, nomad and 1 other person like this.
  19. serenitypolly41

serenitypolly41 Occasional commenter

That looks tasty!!

20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Ewwww to many of those. I have strict cheese rules. Very mild and fresh (cream cheese, ricotta, mozzarella etc). Or hard cheese but nothing stinky. Brie is stinky and it just escalates from there.

Blue cheese is the work of the devil.

My Saturday job as a teenager was in a delicatessen. I scraped down and rewrapped the cheese counter's offerings most weeks. Scarred me for life.

I've just looked at the ones mentioned. Comte is nice. So is mozzarella. I like red leicester, gruyere, and jarlsberg too. I miss devon oke. Haven't had that since my gran died as not one I can get here.