1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese Making

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by scottjw, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Something I really want to look in to doing.
    Anyone do/done it? Your thoughts?

2. ljr

ljr New commenter

I used to strain my home made yogurt through muslin to get a soft cheese, to which I would add salt & herbs but I'd forgotten all about it until I read your post. Maybe I'll give it another go.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Hugh FW's recent article in the Grauniad Saturday magazine has inspired me to try. Young, soft cheeses look like the way forward for the amateur with nothing in the way of equipment (ie, me). I'd think that fermented or matured cheeses would be beyond most, unless you have a highly controlled environment in which to store them, such as a very dry, clean cellar.
    The mozzarella, in particular, looks very appealing.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/22/homemade-cheese-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall

I've heard that ricotta style cheeses are easy to make as well.
    Or you could try labneh, the yoghurt cheese eaten throughout the Middle East. It's often preserved in oil once made, so ideal to give as gifts. I've a good recipe for it, if you're interested.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I make paneer, but have never tried making "proper" cheesy cheese.

5. Please do. That may come in very nicely for the christmas hamper I'm creating.

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Couldn't be simpler, really, but it is a little time and space-consuming.
    1 litre full-fat cow's or goat's milk yoghurt
    Sea salt
    Mix the yoghurt in a bowl with a teaspoon of salt. Line another bowl with a square of muslin, pour the mixture in, bring together the corners to form a tight bundle and tie together with string, and hang the bundle over the bowl in a cool place (fridge ideally) for about 72 hours. The liquid will have collected in a bowl (use this in breadmaking if you don't like wasting things), and the thickened, solidified 'cheese' will be left in the muslin. Empty into a clean bowl, cover and and refrigerate for a further 24 hours. Then roll into balls about the size of a ping-pong ball. These can be rolled in dried herbs (dried mint or oregano work well) if you wish, or just used plain. Store in jars of a mixture of olive and sunflower oils (cheaper than pure olive oil). Sealed, it will keep for 3 or 4 months in the fridge.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Reminds me of the lessons I taught back in the old days when cookery was taught properly at school!!
    Anyway, the mall balls of cheese in oil are also to be found in Malta, I can recommend looking for Lebanese recipes, to my mind, and many of my Arabic friends, the best ME food to be found.