1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheese and potato pie

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Apr 17, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've never had it before but I've had a craving for it for a couple of days (the bump is taking over my eating habits!) - does anyone have a recipe to share?!

2. egyptgirl

I've never had it before but I've had a craving for it for a couple of days (the bump is taking over my eating habits!) - does anyone have a recipe to share?!

3. ah, End of Month Pie!
    I use a pound of tatties.
    1/2 pound of cheese
    Whatever, you use twice the amount of tatties as cheese.
    Simmer tatties till soft.
    Drain and mash. Or chop up small if you prefer.
    Add grated cheese, splash of milk, s + p, **** of butter.
    Put in ovenproof dish, add pastry topping.
    Bung in oven.

4. egyptgirl

Ahhh, so it's cheesy mashed potato with a pastry lid! Could I add paprika to the mash or would that ruin it completely?

5. I add chilli to mine EG, so i reckon paprika would be good too. I also leave off the pastry lid serving with bacon and oven roasted tomatoes.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You might like a variation on the potato stuffed pitta bread I had in Amman. There it was garlic and cumin mash, but why not cheesy mash stuffed into pitta halves and baked.

7. EG - it is one of those recipes where everyone has their own version and anything is allowed!
    I like to add some sage to mine.
    But any other spices or herbs would work.
    If I am too lazy to make pastry, I bung it in the oven without a pastry lid and add some more cheese on top.
    Not great for the hips, but great for the soul (I seem to be saying that often since I turned 40 a few years ago).

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I don't add a pastry lid but sometimes put sliced tomatoes on top before grilling. Comfort food.

9. Make some cheese pasties. They are dead easy with a pack of puff pastry. Make your cheesy mash but add some chopped onion too. Roll out your pastry. Cut a large circle with a saucer or a large cutter. Put your mixture in the middle. Brush around the edge with water and fold over. Seal and then bake.

10. Do them often.
    Or should I say - that is one of those things I have passed on to my kids. So they make them and I put my feet up!

11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

This was one of the first dishes I made in senior school. We added chopped onion to the potatoes before boiling and mashing and then added the grated cheese.

12. egyptgirl

All good ideas - this is going to be fun! Thanks everyone!

13. A friend of mine used to do the bake without pastry version. Always with chopped onion included.
    One good idea that I've used as well. She was on a food kick at the time - you had to have a minimum of 23 (I think) different foods each day so she added various seeds and nuts - pumpkin, sesame, cashew or whatever - to mixed dishes like this. Good for texture and some of them are quite sweet so very satisfying for people in an 'interesting condition' who are looking for taste variety.
    The 23 different foods she found really interesting. Any dairy food counted as just one, so yogurt for breakfast meant that any milk, cheese or cream for the rest of the day didn't count at all. She finished up convinced that the benefit came from being forced to eat a lot of different grains, seeds and nuts to meet the number target so you automatically got a much bigger range of micronutrients than you'd get from even the healthiest diet with fewer food items. She also ensured that any salad or stirfry had much more variety of veg (but the same total quantity) than she'd used previously.

14. And I sometimes add a layer of chutney about an inch from the bottom!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Do try those mashed potatoes in pitta bread, they are scrummy.

16. I've already put a note in the kitchen for next time we have mash... make too much, add garlic, add cumin, stuff in a pitta and eat!
    Sounds good to me!

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Brilliant way of using up leftover mash!

18. egyptgirl

Thats what we're having for lunch tomorrow!

19. egyptgirl

Not doing too well with spice at the moment, Si!
    The pitta breads were yummy - Mr EG didn't even moan about the lack of meat...result!