1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheerio, A level students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yes indeed. Isn’t it great! Most of the parents obviously know full well that their kid has an attitude problem. I have brought round a fair number of disaffected learners...many have been under-extended at school, hate the academy system or distrust teachers because their work hardly gets mark...they hardly get any homework at all, many of them. But with A level, you would hope that they had matured. I seem to have been unlucky this year and only had one great A level girl out of many bad, lazy flakey ones. I guess in school of college sets, the level of bleagh and ammibovvered is better cloaked,

2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I find there's an endemic passivity among today's youth. There's no desire to find a solution themselves, which helps explain the growing popularity of tutoring. I knew tutors existed when I was a child, but it never occurred to me to ask my parents to get one. The passive attitude shows itself in helplessness and unhappiness. Odd world, really.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Interesting, I only tutor A level (biology) and they're all lovely keen students.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I saw one of my A-level students today. He always arrives with the papers he has tried marked to show what he needs help with. The number of papers seems to go up every week as the number of questions he can't do goes down. He is unfailingly polite and appears highly motivated. We should not generalise about "today's youth". They are not all the same, as my hard working daughter has pointed out to me several times.

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

No I know, it’s just a pattern I keep seeing in my neck of the woods and i also just cannot be faffed to read up to 40 texts a year.

langteacher and Piranha like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't regret not taking A level students anymore.

There is enough work for me with GCSE students alone.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I bumped into one of the parents of last year's girl yesterday. They told me how the girl had been puzzling a problem out with her friends when she "suddenly heard my voice in her ear".

Piranha and Mrsmumbles like this.