1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cheerio, A level students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mrsmumbles, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Just a little rant. I used to love teaching A level and have loads and loads of good resources to offer the kids and so much experience. Thing is, I am finding that for Literature, it does not work in tuition. The kids are often late, lazy, arrogant, unreliable...just had one student who really needs the help on his retake quit. Oh dear! It has become an occupational hazard. The younger and most GCSe age students are so, so much nicer and more reliable. Having moaned all this, I have one final year A level girl who has been a joy to help, but she has been the exception. I no linger want one nice student from this age range to be an exception. No wonder results are dropping...the overall attitude is awful! The majority have been flakey, rude, slack and with awful attitudes...you know the sort that think you have subnormal DNA because you do not always use instagram. And they all do loads of different set texts and think you are the lowest of the low if you have not read a colossal book which they themselves aren’t bothered to within seven days. So annoying! Hey ho. At least I have my customer base sorted for next year now! Anyone else fully qualified but having to adjust their age range to have a better workload as a full time tutor?
    :p:po_O

sabram86 likes this.
  2. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I rarely get A level students. The odd one I have had is, aa you say, rude and unsurly by rule.

Year 11s can be a pain too. I sacked two this year for rudeness and laziness, but they still recommended me to another family. Odd how it works sometimes.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I tutor maths, physics and chemistry. I prefer A level and, apart from the occasional exception, usually find the students receptive and keen to learn. Ideally I like to start tuition in year 9 or 10 and take them through to A level. Maybe it is different for different subjects.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't do A level any more either.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Mrsmumbles

That’s hilarious! I mean, I know this makes me sound like an Auld Grumpy Geet, but the yoof of today...some are so socially maladjusted it is unreal. Just...refuse to listen, bring the right kit, use pen, do homework, think writing or making notes is offensive.
    A former HOD...one of the few good ones I had the joy of working with...had a novel theory on this. Mortgage and debt. Forcing more parents out to work for longer, so Jonny is at home online doing who knows what and forgetting the basics of listening, reading books, reading critically, or, hey, reading or talking at all. This current 16-18 age group is the worst I have ever seen. Rude, disrespectful, bone idle, incapable of focus, action or anything requiring gumption. Highly capable of texting, moaning and blaming everyone else, to the point of hilarious self-denial. I fear for the future...I would not want my health or welfare anywhere near their texty-wexty semi-opposable thumbs! I have found it is worse in British kids. EAL learners may like their tech, but they have this deference, drive and determination which makes Lotty from Hampstead look a right and utter brat. Just my view though. Really hope it is not just me though! I used to love this age group!

saluki and sabram86 like this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

You know, I think it is. Some of my students got the hump because a poem was not ‘regular enough, so it was basically just wrong.’ Give me strength, Oh Lord...

7. sabram86

8. sabram86

That certainly captures it. When I have been examining A-level candidates recently for MFLs, I've had some who didn't prepare and some who made their point so intensely and aggressively that I had a vague fear of being physically assaulted. Other candidates threatened to sue the centre when they didn't get the grade they needed. Bizarre really.

It makes me appreciate my sweet secondary students!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

It is starting to become a right freakshow, to be honest. It seems that the older they get, the ruder and more disrespectful they are. Oh well!

10. sabram86

Yes, I fear it is sometimes. Schools run like asylums with the prisoners given the keys and the run of the place. I'm beginning to want out of it altogether really, which is sad.

And I haven't darkened the door of a school in some years now!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  11. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

I've had a couple of A-levels / IB studying overseas, and a couple UK-based, and I've been very pleasantly surprised, very mature and pleasant people. I probably got lucky.

12. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

About 50% of my students are A level and I guess I've been very lucky because I've found them to be fantastic. Like gainly I tutor Maths and Physics. Most of my students are capable but have been let down in one way or another by their school or college, so I suppose they are grateful for the extra help. I've never had a student touch their phone during a session (same can't be said of my teaching career). My main challenge is keeping up to date with the different exam boards. I would say the changes in the curriculum have created a need for tutors because schools and colleges haven't kept up to date with the changes.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. BG54

BG54 New commenter

There seems to be something of an Arts/Science split developing on this thread as I'm another "lucky" tutor whose A-level tutees (Maths and Chemistry) have so far been very likeable and hard-working students. Perhaps it's the stereotypical "artistic temperament" revealing itself? ;)

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

Yep, probably is! My last lot...they just don't want to read the ****** books! I mean...I cannot do that bit for them! i find that people look down on the Arts more than they used to, and as I love them, trying to persuade sulky teens to do the basics is too depressing, so I’m out.

15. Mrsmumbles

That is the other issue I have with English...if I have three kids doing an eight text course, they could all have different combinations, so at least fifteen texts may need to be read. Ahem! Yes the syllabus changes are a pain, I wish there were only two A level boards!

16. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

My A level tutees are all lovely. But A level requests A are dropping due to most centres not entering for AS anymore.

17. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Sadly that is true. I think maths is the easiest subject to tutor for a number of reasons; one being that students are constantly told how important it is. I would go as far as to say schools push the brightest students to A level maths and science which makes it far harder for teachers of history, geography, psychology .....

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

I wish I could coach Maths...sadly, not happening any time soon! Mind you, I am ok with arithmetic, NVR and VR. Just the algebra and problems....agh.

Piranha likes this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Perhaps I am just lucky, but my students this year have, without exception, been a pleasure to teach. As I receive a pension, I only have a few students, all by word of mouth, and I would be quite happy to refuse to continue with one who was rude or couldn't be bothered. Fortunately, this has not happened yet. But then again, I tutor Maths.;)

20. suzette

suzette New commenter

I think it depends on the individual student. I've had some damn rude GCSE students, but they've not lasted long with me, as I ditch them. You might want to have a word with the parents (If they're paying for them to be tutored). Usually they're horrified that their little darling is behaving this way. Also it's worth having a contract that sets out expectations surrounding rudeness, homework & payment. It works for me.

But generally; ditch them. As a tutor you DON'T have to put up with any nonsense. It's your business & your rules.

tsarina and Piranha like this.